Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! 3-1-1 Ribs, dry and chewy

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday, I prepared 3-1-1 pork ribs and the results were not that great in my opinion. I trimmed the ribs & removed the membrane, slathered with mustard and dry rub, let them sit in the frig overnite. Got my MBGE lit & up to 200 (used a little mesquite), added my new platesetter (thanks honey), closed the vents down for a temp of 250. let the temps stabilize for 45 minutes. I put the ribs on flat with a drip pan underneath the grate. 3 hours indirect at 250, 1 hour foil at 250 with a little apple juice inside the foil (when I openned the foil I had shrinkage of almnost 1.5 inches on each end of the ribs), and then 1 hour indirect at 250. The ribs were dry and chewy (kind of like jerky) there was no grease and no fat.[p]Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong. I think that the ribs are overcooked. I was worried that my thermometer was not calibrated so I checked it this morning and it was good at 210-212.[p]I have cooked ribs in the past direct and have had better results without the 3-1-1 method but was looking for a sure fire method that I could teach to the family instead of me always being the go to guy.[p]Thanks,
Bill
B & C
Atlanta, GA

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    B & C,[p]That last "hour" you went too long.[p]When they came out of the foil they were done. The last "hour" should really only be long enough to sauce and let the sauce set for a bit - maybe 15-20 minutes.[p]What I do is sauce them immediately after I take them out of the foil and let the sauce caramelize and reduce for just a bit and that's it.
  • Salmon
    Salmon Posts: 146
    Options
    Liberty005.jpg
    <p />B & C, Well sir, the 3 1 1 method should only be a guide line. Sounds to me like your ribs were not done. Pigs are like people......no two are just a like, some may take a smidge longer to cook than others. One way to determine if they are done to perfection is to grab them on the flat bone side and if they start to break when you lift them up then you are where you want to be...[p]Rick

• B & C,[p]i agree with Fidel, that last hour was too long. just sauce and let them firm up a bit, and that's it.[p]also, maybe letting them sit in the fridge overnight with the rub may have contributed to them drying out, since the rub probably had salt in it
  • B & C,[p]i agree with Fidel, that last hour was too long. just sauce and let them firm up a bit, and that's it.[p]also, maybe letting them sit in the fridge overnight with the rub may have contributed to them drying out, since the rub probably had salt in it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    B & C,
    were they baby backs or spares?[p]lots of people do the 3-1-1 thing, you can't dry them out in that amount of time. even if they were b-backs.[p]i did spares on sunday, and they were indirect (not 3-1-1), and i gotta tell you. i now do them almost 7-8 hours. you can NOT dry them out even in that amount of time. i left them on during the game and they were better at 10 hours. dome was 250, indirect.[p]so why were yours tough and dry? maybe they were UNDER cooked. if they were spares, which are meatier, you might find they take longer than 3-1-1. dunno. all i know is each cook has some little twist that makes it different. i know that a lot of folks get nervous and take ribs off before they are done, and they will certainly be tough, and they'll actually be dry. you overcook ribs (and butts) way past they 'edible' point, to the point where the moisture is almost gone, then the collagen breaks down, and the ribs feel moist again. the moisture you'd see in a nice pork chop is long gone when you cook ribs until they are pulling free from the bone. the moisture you feel is actually the collagen. and if it doesn't get a chance to break down, they'll be dry and too tough. make any sense?[p]salt in your rub won't dry them out, even overnight. sugar is maybe even more hygroscopic than salt. sugar in a rub will leave you with a bowl full of syrup after sitting on ribs all night, and that still won't dry them out.[p]when you cook your ribs your typical way, how long do you normally go?

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    stike,[p]"...even more hygroscopic than salt."[p]Nice![p]Oh, just in case:[p]Hygroscopy is the ability of a substance to attract water molecules from the surrounding environment through either absorption or adsorption.
  • B & C,
    Everyone, I tried to respond to a couple of you but the forum had been down from 12:30 pm to 13:47 pm. I have written 3 posts only to not be able to upload them to a forum that is down and to have them erased in webspace.[p]I am truly disappointed in this website (not the people that post here, technology sometimes stinks) and disappointed in myself and the egg. [p]I wish I could say that it will be a long time before I cook ribs again however I had already bought 2 slabs and planned to cook them this Saturday for my family who are coming for Christmas (this rib cook was for practice) Saturday's upcoming cook is the one that counts.[p]Bill
    B & C
    ATL, GA

• B & C,[p]Bill,
    I cooked Ribs the exact same method Sunday night and they were the best, moist Ribs I have ever cooked. The only difference is I used my rub ,salt and pepper and I used just once small chunk of hickory.

• Salmon
    Salmon Posts: 146
    Options
    B & C,
    Don't be discouraged......practice, practice and practice some more.[p]Rick

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    B & C,
    give this a try

[ul][li]CWM Ribs[/ul]
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    stike & All, Boy, this is getting complicated! Under-cook them & they'll be tough; over-cook them and they could still be tough! I've not done, good (to my satisfaction) ribs on my EGG yet, but I'll certainly stay tuned! Seems like there's a delicate touch with rubbin', cookin', wrappin', and saucin'! Just like golf, every hole (and here, the cook) is a new adventure, and that's what brings me back! 8 - )[p]Rascal

• Eager Egger
    Options
    B & C, I can understand being frustrated by the forum, problems, I posted this earlier and had to redo it :-) Don't give up on the ribs though and I really recommend that you stay with the same method until you have mastered it. I use the 3-1-1 method found in the Wise One's cookbook pages 44 through 46 on the Naked Whiz's site. Only difference is that when we make the rub recipe, we reduce the Cayenne Pepper by about 1/2 to 2/3rds. On the first couple of attempts, I used the neighbors to test the ribs. They let me know right away what they did and didn't like! After 3 attempts I have the babybacks where I want them. Now I want to reach the point that I can get spare ribs as good.[p]I think most would agree that your ribs got done quickly. I could have been many things, but when they have drawn back 1 1/2 inches on the bone, that's too much. I usually pull mine when they pull back anywhere from 3/8's to 3/4". Probably the best test is if they just fold up in themselves when picked up by some tongs. Good luck and do it again soon. Let us know if we can help in any way.[p]
  • Michael B
    Options
    B & C,[p]I put this together from previous posts on this and another board. It explains what it is you are looking for at each stage of a rib cook. Maybe you can use it to figure out where your cook went astray.[p]
    What is the 3-2-1 Method? [p]The three-two-one method refers to cooking times in hours and involves the use of foil. This technique is used for cooking pork spare ribs but can be adapted to baby backs or even beef ribs by adjusting times. Cooking temperature should be around 225* +/-. [p]The 1st Number 3 - means three hours in the smoker exposed to heat and smoke. The spices will have formed a good bark and the meat will look cooked but wonÕt be tender. [p]The 2nd Number 2 - is the time ribs are wrapped in heavy-duty foil (preferably ÔextraÕ heavy duty) and placed back into the smoker. A little apple juice, honey, barbecue sauce, or other flavors can be added to the pouch at this time if desired. The ribs will steam and braise in their own juices or added liquids during this phase and become very tender. The meat will shrink back from the bone a little. If the heat is too high you will get a product that resembles boiled ribs and the meat could shrink back as much as an inch or more. [p]The 3rd Number 1 Ð foil is removed and ribs go back into the smoker to firm up and dry out a little. During the last half hour of this phase some barbecue sauce or a glaze may be applied to the surface of the rubs for appearance and additional flavor. [p]By understanding what happens during each stage of the 3-2-1 cooking process you can adjust your results by varying the times. For firmer textured meat allow the ribs to spend less time in the foil and more time in the open heat. Likewise, for more tender meat, ranging from Òfall off the boneÓ to mushy, leave the ribs in foil longer. [p]Baby backs will take less time to cook so change the numbers to 2-2-1 or even 2-1-1 to achieve similar results on these smaller ribs. [p]http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=30391 [p][p]To Foil or Not to Foil? [p]That is the question! Do you have to foil ribs to cook them in a smoker? Absolutely not. Then why use foil at all? Using foil does several things, some of which you may or may not prefer. [p]Foiling can help speed the cooking process by braising & steaming which cuts down overall cooking times and fuel costs. It also helps the novice produce a more consistent product. Using foil limits the amount of time food is exposed to smoke and can be use to control taste by preventing over smoking lighter flavored meats with heavier flavored woods. Limiting exposure to smoke and heat can also be used to control surface color and keep food from becoming dark or burnt looking. [p]So if youÕd like to cook ribs and choose not to foil, just add an hour or two to the cooking time and youÕll still enjoy tender, juicy, flavorful ribs. Back to top

yanks25
    Posted: Thu Sep 28 Post subject:

[p]Texas Rib Ranger is probably the Father of the 3-2-1 or the 2-2-1 or the number rib cook using foil. His recipe has been bastardized on many web pages out there but here is the recipe that he shared with the public about 5 years ago and how the recipe does work. [p]I've been cooking in competitions for 24 years and started using foil back then and still do. Jumpin Jim passed along one of his secrets so here comes mine. Smoke your ribs for 2-3 hours then wrap with foil. Before you put the ribs in the foil put some Brown Sugar & Honey on the foil put meat side down, then put some on the ribs then close the foil. Before closing completely put some Apple juice (about 2-3 oz.) and put back on cooker. After about an hour check Ribs if done pull them. About 30 min. before turn-in mix juice off rib with Texas Rib Rangers Spicy sauce and baste Ribs on grill to glaze them. Mix about 3 parts sauce to 1 part juice. Now you know the Rib Rangers story. Good Luck and Happy Q'n Bill [p]Several keys here and I will start with the amount of juice as more or less won't work. It must be 2-3oz as the ribs must boil in this liquid. Meat side down--you need to boil the meat and not the bone ends. Get them DONE in the foil before you remove them from the cooker. They do go back on the cooker or grill for the glaze. [p]Ribs cool down very quickly and anything you do to them outside the cooker must be done quickly. Make up your foil boats in advance and then pull the ribs and wrap and get them back on the cooker as quick as you can. [p]This recipe and method is still winning cook-off every weekend.[p][p]Sapres go 6 hours 3-2-1
    Babybacks go 5 hours 2-2-1 or even 4 hours 2-1-1
    If you have St Louis cut spares, treat them like full spares. (This might be what you have. They are about the size of BBs, but with a little less curvature to the bone and more meat.[p]If you really donÕt know what you have, you could take them to a grocery store and ask the butcher. If you donÕt want to do that, start cooking but watch as you go:[p]The night before:
    Be sure the membrane is removed from the bone side. This will make a big difference in your finished product.
    Rub with yellow mustard and plenty of spices.[p]Get the Egg set up for an indirect cook over a drip pan, 230*-240* at the grid.[p]3- (hours)
    Put the ribs in, meat side up, and check them after 2 hours. The spices should have formed a good bark and the meat will look cooked but it wonÕt be tender. If they donÕt look cooked you probably do not have BBs. Leave them in for another hour.[p]2- (hours)
    Prepare heavy foil boats with a little honey and brown sugar. Wrap the ribs in the foil, meat side down; pour a ? cup of apple cider on top, seal and place back in the smoker. The ribs will steam in the foil and become very tender. The meat should shrink back from the bone a little. You do NOT want the heat too high or youÕll get something that resembles boiled ribs.

1Ð (hour)
    Remove the foil and put the ribs back into the smoker, meat side up, to firm up and dry out a little. If you are serving them dry, just leave the lid closed and pull at the end of the hour. If you are serving wet, baste with sauce 30 minutes before pulling. [p]More time in the open heat and less in the foil will produce firmer textured meat. Likewise, more time in the foil and less in the open heat will produce more tender, fall-off-the-bone results. Too long in the foil can result in a mushy final product. [p]
  • Rascal,
    Boy you really said it about getting complicated. I have never been happy with my ribs either. That is why I was practicing before this coming weekend. [p]I think that I am overcooking them with too much heat in the first 3 hours (250) and also overcooking them in foil with not enough apple juice. By the time I get to last hour I think I am already past the point and near the bottom of the hill on the downhill side towards bad. They turn turn out dry and chewy kind of like jerky with stringy muscle fiber.[p]I have to try again this weekend because I have bought ribs and plaaned to cook for family for the holidays, but I am not excited about doing it nor am I looking forward to it. I want to see some success, that it is beginning to taste good not continuing to be dry, or tough.[p]Bill
    B & C
    ATL, GA

• mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Options
    B & C,[p]Try the Car Wash Mike method, it has never failed me even from my first cook.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    B & C,
    250 isn't too much heat. are you indirect?[p]it is not possible to cook ribs PAST the point where they are the proverbial "fall-off-the-bone" and then have them become tough and dry.[p]a tough dry rib is, amazingly, an undercooked rib.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • B & C,
    sounds to me you just got some crappy ribs. where'd you get them? where they enhanced?[p]and i agree... skip the foil and do the car wash mike ribs.[p]i wouldn't rub the night before either

• Beerco
    Beerco Posts: 25
    Options
    B & C,[p]One of the most useful things I learned from watching too much iron chef is to taste your food while it's cooking.[p]When I trim my spares, I leave the tiny ribs on the end as part of the main thing. [p]After three hours, I cut them off and tast em.[p]After foiling, I tast it.[p]By doing so you can get a very good idea what's going on cook wise.

• beerco,
    thanks, that sounds like a good idea as long as you don't eat any from early on in the cook. Rib tartar doesn't sound that great to me.[p]Thanks,
    Bill
    B & C
    ATL, GA

• Rick's Tropical Delight,
    I know that they were dry in the package we bought them in. We froze them in a ziplock bag for a few weeks after we brought them home.[p]I have had others suggest the "Car Wash Mike" rib method and I will probably give that a try.[p]I don't plan on ever putting the rub on the night before again.[p]Thanks,
    Bill
    B & C
    ATL, GA

• Michael B,
    Thanks for the info. Which method works for you?[p]Thanks Again,
    Bill
    B & C
    ATL, GA

• mb168,
    I will try it. Connie wants me to go buy and cook ribs tomorrow to try to get it right.[p]Thanks,
    Bill
    B & C
    ATL, GA

• mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Options
    B & C,[p]I personally don't like foiled ribs, CW Mike's recipe makes sense to me and when you taste them you'll understand. I cooked 2 racks yesterday and wrapped one up in foil when it was done and put them immediately in the fridge and ate them today and they were better reheated than any I ever produced in foil or on a gasser.
  • EagerEgger,
    I used my best friend as a taste tester last night. I am not sure if he will come back. I may have to make up a story and tell him I need for him to come over to empty my bedpan because I am bedriden with a terminal illness. Maybe then he would come over and I could get him to eat my ribs again. Well he is single and doesn't get a home cooked meal. He might come back.[p]I printed Wise One's cookbook and looks like I have a lot of reading to do. I did look at Wise One's 3-1-1 method, I make the same rub however I changed the amount of a few of the ingredients.[p]Thanks for the encourgement, your email, and is you phone ringing yet.[p]Where is Round Rock? Is it close to a big city?[p]Bill
    B & C
    ATL, GA

• tach18k,
    I will try it. Connie wants me to go buy and cook ribs tomorrow to try to get it right.[p]Thanks,
    Bill
    B & C
    ATL, GA [p]

• captaindcb,
    Thanks for the reply, I will try again but the failures wear me down.[p]Bill
    B & C
    ATL, GA

• stike,
    yes they are indirect at 250, just got a platesetter and checked the calibration of my thermometer. I still think they are overcooked but I will take your advice and go with the method. Maybe it is the collegen, I need to give it a chance to break down.[p]Thanks,
    Bill
    B & C
    ATL, GA

• Fidel,
    Congatulations on your new addition. What is her name?[p]As I remember you posted pictures of your children earlier around October. They were two of the cutest I've seen in a while. [p]Thanks,
    Bill
    B & C
    ATL, GA

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    B & C,[p]You mean these sweet babies?[p]GirlsonEggsforChristmas.jpg[p]
  • Fidel,
    Those be de ones.[p]I also just read your letter from Shula's and your extra 17oz. How long was it before you puked or before you ate again, whichever came first.[p]Bill
    B & C
    ATL, GA