Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Ribs ... So Far

Options
Jethro
Jethro Posts: 495
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Folks,[p]This weekend I cooked 3 slabs of ribs that my wife & I both agreed were the best to date. I used K.O.C. buttermilk method, may be something you'll want to try on your next rib cook.[p]Don't know if that was what did it or what - but dem bones be'd good![p]Jethro[p]ps - Boy did they stink until the until the buttermilk disappeared.

Comments

• D2 in LV
    Options
    Jethro,
    Were these ribs cooked direct or indirect? Where can I find the KOC buttermilk method?[p]Thanks.[p]D2

• Hey I'm glad you liked it Jethro. D2 in LV, it is very simple to do. If you have, say,, 6 slabs, cut them in half and rinse them really good to remove the bone sawdust from the ends. Now, some like to remove the membrane on the white side of the ribs, I have done it both ways, but decided it was not worth the effort. Besides, that membrane is not tough and didn't seem to make a difference with the absorbsion of the spices. Anyway,,,, for 6 slabs, pour about 2 cups of fresh buttermilk in a mixing bowl. Spoon in about 4 or 5 big teaspoons full of cheap yellow mustard. Then throw in all your favorite rib seasonings and spices. Season the goop heavier than you think you want your ribs to taste. Don't be afraid of the cayanne pepper either. Stir it up and paste it heavily(by hand) on your ribs and lay them in a container as you go. Now, you can dry season them first, but I have done it both ways and we could not tell the difference. But let them sit in the fridg for a day after pasting them with the goop. Once Egged, there will be no buttermilk residue, no mustard taste,, just good tasting ribs. As we always say about everything we cook on ceramic,,"the best we ever tasted". But these will be. I like to cook ribs indirect at about 300-350, depending on how hot your's will get with the daisy eyes open on top and the bottom opened fully. It will take a while to get up to hotter temps due to the coolness of the meat. I normally put the ribs in after I am sure the coals have several good starts,, and I always throw in a couple of big pecan chunks just to make me feel better.. Holler if I can help

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    D2 in LV,[p]Like KOC described is pretty much how I did em. Only difference was I did remove the membrane and cooked mine direct @ about 225 or so.[p]Good Luck,
    Jethro