Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sides sugestions

jwirlwind
jwirlwind Posts: 319
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey yall, and yoooz guys'. how bout some ideas of your favorite sides to go with my prime roast on Christmas. [p]MC Jerry

Comments

• wrobs
    wrobs Posts: 109
    Jwirlwind,
    Roasted garlic mashed taters with real butter and pineapple augratin. A side basket of hot yeast rolls and dinner is served!!!
    Let us know what you decide....
    Robert

• Jwirlwind,[p]How about some Yorkshire Pudding/Popovers?[p] Beef, Prime Rib, Roast, Yorkshire Pudding, Shishkaknob

Some of these were from the oven and six were from the egg. If you look closely, the tall ones with the nice brown muffin "stump" and the sort of two-toned gold and brown tops were from the egg and the more all-over browned and shorter ones were from the oven. Too bad I didn't get a side-by-side shot.

[p]INGREDIENTS:
    1 1/4 cup Milk
    1 cup All Purpose Flour
    pinch of Salt
    3 eggs

Procedure:
    1 Make sure the eggs and milk are at room temperature.
    2 Lightly mix up the eggs (don't beat them).
    3 Mix in the salt and the milk and stir.
    4 Slowly add the flour and whisk it in.
    5 Let the batter sit at room temp for 30 mins at least. Mine sat for an hour.
    6 Get the egg up to temp 425 dome. Indirect set-up.
    7 Add 1/2 tsp fat (vegetable oil or clear bacon fat) to the bottom of each muffin cup.
    8 Some say that you have to heat the pans and oil until smoking in the oven (egg) before you add the batter.
    9 I've done it this way and I've added the batter to the cups without pre-heating the pans and there was no difference. These ones were done without pre-heating. Fill the cups 2/3 full with the batter and place in the oven/egg for about 30 mins. Let em go until they brown up nicely. I kept an eye on them through the daisy wheel. I increased the temp to 450 or so for the last five mins to get the browning that I wanted.
    10 Just getting ready to come off...

Recipe Type
    Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Shishkaknob, 10/24/07[p]For those who asked yesterday...and for anyone else who is interested,here is the recipe and method that I used. Makes about a dozen. I did a double recipe.

• Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Bananas, Bourbon and Vanilla[p]Preparation Time: 35 minutes.[p]3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 2" cubes
    3 each very ripe bananas, peeled and sliced
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 each small vanilla bean, split and scraped
    1/4 cup honey
    1/2 cup light brown sugar
    3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon MakerÕs Mark bourbon
    1 tablespoon soft butter
    2 quarts water
    2 teaspoons salt
    Bring the water and 2 teaspoons salt to a boil, add the potatoes and cook until tender Ð about 15 to 20 minutes. While the potatoes are cooking, in a separate pot, combine the cream, honey, brown sugar, vanilla, bananas and orange juice. Bring to a boil and cook on high for 5 minutes. Remove vanilla bean and either purŽe with a mixing wand or mash well with a potato masher.
    When the potatoes are tender, drain well and add to the cream mixture. Cook on medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes and mash gently with a spoon leaving some chunks of potato. The mixture will thicken slightly as the potatoes absorb the cream. Stir in the bourbon and the soft butter. Can be held and reheated.
    Servings: 1[p]GW Fins
    808 Bienville Street
    New Orleans, LA 70112

• Creamy Corn Pudding
    From Diana Rattray,[p]INGREDIENTS:
    4 tablespoons butter
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup milk
    1 can (approx. 15 ounces) cream-style corn
    1 can (approx. 15 ounces) whole kernel corn, or about 2 cups frozen thawed
    3 eggs, separated[p]PREPARATION:
    Heat oven to 350*[p]Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat; add flour, stirring until mixture is well blended.
    Gradually stir in the milk; add sugar and salt.
    Cook, whisking constantly, until smooth and thickened.
    Remove from heat and stir in cream-style and kernel corn.
    Lightly beat egg yolks, and then add to the corn mixture.
    In a grease-free bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
    Fold egg whites into the mixture.
    Transfer to a 2-quart buttered casserole.
    Set the casserole in a larger pan and put in the oven.
    Add hot water to the large pan to a depth of about 1 inch.
    Bake for about 45 minutes.
    Servings: 1

• Caesar salad, WITH the egg and anchovy.
  • I'd go with a twice-baked potato. I make them with salted butter, a soft cheese like mozzarella or gruyere and horseradish.