Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

question re: slow cook in cold temperatures

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It is supposed to get below freezing in Dallas tonight. I know that isn't cold for some of you yankees, but it is downright frigid for us texans. I plan to cook an 11 pound brisket (second attempt for me) and want it ready for guests tomorrow afternoon around 5. I am thinking about putting it on the egg around 11-12 tonight for an overnight cook, but I am concerned about the egg's temperature holding above 220 all night if it is below freezing. Anyone have some advice for me? Much thanks.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    formergolfer,[p]Ambient temp does not matter.
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    formergolfer,
    Outside temp doesn't really have an impact on the egg temp. just make sure you have plenty of lump.

• Mike in MN
    Options
    formergolfer,
    The only time there are issues, is when it's REALLY cold (less than -15° and it's REALLY windy 25+ MPH) if it's warmer than that, then buck up, and enjoy the cook.[p]BTW, the cold has minimal effect on the egg, just the sap standing out there in the cold! [p]I was just out on my deck, it's 18° and gorgeous out tonight! There's a "feel" in the air. It's fresh and dead quiet. Good night for a walk, or sitting in the hot tub. Romantico!

• EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Options
    formergolfer,[p]If I can do it tonight in Fort Worth, you can do it in Dallas. :-)
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • Bob In Texas
    Options
    formergolfer, I did a couple slabs of ribs couple of days ago, and it was 38 here (far N. Dallas). One thing you have going is, at 250° dome temp. you can lay your hands directly on it, and keep them warm. I had to make a little damper and air inlet adjustments with the cold day air vs the warm day air. Go ahead and put that bad boy on. Have fun!

• formergolfer,[p]I did a cold-in-the-cold last week, with quite a strong wind in about 15F.[p]Seemed easy to do, except that the Egg demanded a bit more fuel than I expected. The upwind side of the egg felt cool to the touch, whereas the downwind side was warm/hot as usual.[p]~ Broc

• egginator
    Options
    formergolfer,
    I'm doing a couple of butts tonight. Not too worried.[p]Ed

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    formergolfer,[p]More lump and a warm coat.
  • Braddog
    Braddog Posts: 212
    Options
    formergolfer,[p]I did 3 6-7lb. brisket flats on Friday night for a Saturday mid-day meal. I've read many times that the egg handles the cold without issue. That's true, but what I didn't expect was the extra fuel consumption. Maybe it was my fire, maybe it was my fuel, but I had to run my vents much wider open than usual and near the end of the cook (~14 hrs. or so) I could tell that I was nearly out of fuel and had a hard time finishing the biggest of the three.[p]Don't know if my experience is normal, but I've never had that sort of issue in warmer weather. I'd say make sure you start with a full load.[p]Merry Christmas,
    Braddog

• Hugh Jass
    Options
    Braddog,
    Think about it for a minute. If the air entering is, say 30 degrees and you have the temperature set for 250, wouldn't it make sense that you would need more fuel than if the air entering the egg was 90 degrees? You said that you had the vents open wider than normal. That should tell you that you are needing a larger fire.[p]Hugh

• Braddog
    Braddog Posts: 212
    Options
    Huge Ass;[p]Correct on all points, I was simply surprised at the amount of change required. I expected a slight change but this is an order of magnitude greater than what I expected from reading about this topic here on the forum.[p]Cheers,
    Braddog[p]