Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need a thermometer recommendation

Ken
Ken Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need to get a new thermometer for my Egg. I would like one that has a remote display for those "Low and Slow" cooks.
What brand and model do you suggest?
Thanks.

Comments

• Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Ken,[p]If you need a new dome thermometer, Tell True is probably the one to look at. However, if it is "Remote" that you want so that you can monitor dome and meat temps from inside, then I recommend the Maverick ET-73. In a recent post, there was considerable dissagreement on its design and quality, however. The one I have now (have had a couple before this that died) is super. Others will add their comments soon.[p]Dave

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    Ken,
    et73 has all the needed features, its not designed well and the logic to set it up is lousy, but mines gotta be going on three years. when i got the first one, the little delicate switch broke on its first use, sent it back and it was replaced. since then ive been extremely careful when using the switches and its been fine. the logic for setup takes some time to figure out at first, much of it makes no sense, like setting the low alarm temp will not turn on the audio alarm, you have to do that separately. not beer friendly til you use the unit 20 or more times, keep the directions til you can set the unit up blind. that been said, i havent seen another unit with pit temp, meat temp, high and low alarms for even close the money. the low alarm is definately needed if you do overnights. as for the distance the remote is supposed to work at, ive never seen one that will transmit as stated, i get maybe 40 feet which is close enough for me to use, alarm is load enough to wake me from another room

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ken,
    So. I was at a Linens-N-Things store when I spotted this polder dual thermometer. It was 30 bucks, but I had a 20% off coupon. so for 23 bucks, I can tell the cooking environment temp and the food temp. I have used it for several cooks now including Thanksgiving, and I must say that I'm pretty impressed. I plan on continuing to use this.

[ul][li]Polder dual temp thermometer[/ul]
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Hey Mark,
    That looks pretty cool, are both sensors in the same probe? -RP

• Hi Randy,
    Yes, the fat part is the oven temp, and the skinny part is the food probe. the cable is just a bit thicker. When I stick it in a turkey breast, for instance, I can see that the dome temp at cooking level is say 350, and the turkey temp is 160, I'll know that it will be time to yank it off the Egg soon. also lets me know when to adjust the vents. I thought it was pretty cool, and now I know it work for me.[p][p]A cooking thermometer and timer in one! Dual sensing probe measures temperature of food and oven.[p]Features[p] * Dual sensor in a single probe
    * Monitor food and oven temps at the same time
    * Actual temperature range: 32°F to 572°F
    * Presettable alarm temperature range: 86°F to 572°F
    * 10 hour count down feature
    * Includes stopwatch and overtime count-up feature as well
    * Model: 894-90[p][p]
    Hi to Kim[p]M

• fishlessman,[p]What is the difference between the ET72 and ET73?[p]They seem to sell the ET-72 at Linens and Things[p]Thanks,
    Greg

• eatbbq
    eatbbq Posts: 81
    Ken,
    ET-73 is a bit confusing to use and the switch to open the back to turn on remote, broke after first use(mostly my fault, but better instructions would have prevented it). I emailed Maverick, they sent me 5 replacement panels for this, no charge. In 15 below F weather, I like the remote aspect, but it is also great in warmer temps when I am inside preparing other food items I have a constant read out of temps for food and cooker. It may not be the best for its logic, but it is a good unit for the price.