Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Venison Summer Sausage

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I made about 30#'s of Venison Summer Sausage this past week and wanted to smoke them on my large egg. So I made this nifty little rack so that they could hang inside, my only problem was when I set the rack on the platesetter the lid would not close.[p]DSC01976-1.jpg[p]As you can see I removed the fire ring, and set the platesetter directly on the fire box. This allowed me to maintain a much cooler dome temp(180degrees) which was ideal for these sausages[p]DSC01975-1.jpg[p]Finished product, They turned out mighty good!![p]DSC01977.jpg[p]I also made snack sticks.

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    MNFisherman, Bravo!!!

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    MNFisherman,
    man that looks great!!! how long did you have to go with both of them? i don't eat much venison not for any reason but i can't bring myself to go sit in a tree for hours on end freezing my rear off just to shoot something.. also kind of expensive to get into. [p]
    any who were the snack sticks vennison also?and are they done in your last pic?[p] [p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE,
    The Summer Sausage smoked for about 6 hours, and the venison snack sticks for about 2. That is a before shot of the snack sticks, the battery in my camera died before I could take an after shot.

• jeffybeer
    Options
    MNFisherman,
    Way to be inventive. Looks like good eating!

• jeffybeer,
    Midwest Eggtoberfest ain't got **** on me!!!! Oh wait, I was there!!!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    MNFisherman,
    got a recipe for that summer sausage, looks too good. hows the ice on the ponds out there, we got a good 4 inches of ice, already fishing, real early this year in mass

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman,
    Here is the Recipe. [p]I seasoned the meat a couple hours before I ran it through the grinder. After I ground it I let it cure in the refrigerator a couple day's before I stuffed them in the casing.[p]12 lbs Ground Venison
    8 lbs Pork Shoulder Trim
    12 tbls Kosher Salt
    10 tbls corn sugar(I had some for brewing beer)
    4 tsp Pink Salt(Available at a butcher supply shop)
    4 tbls Fresh Cracked Black Peppar
    8 tsp Colmans Dry Mustard
    8 tsp Mustard Seed
    6 tsp Freshly Ground Coriander
    4 tsp dehydrated garlic
    4 tsp Onion Powder
    2 tsp ground thyme
    2 tsp ground sage[p]I hung them in my basement for a couple day's prior to eating. This allows the pink salt to do it's magic.[p]I took the original recipe from a cookbook called Charcuterie. If you are into sausage, curing, salting, or brining, this book is the bible. I got it at Barnes & Noble[p]As far as fishing, we are sitting at about 3-6 inches of Ice and I have been fishing for almost two weeks already. Have been having really good luck with Panfish and Pike so far.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    MNFisherman,
    thanks, ill look for the book. i really like summer sausage. picked up a salmon and bow on saterday, warmed up to 40 , made for a great day in the sun. some of that sausage woud have made it better.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BBQ Bob Trudnak
    Options
    MNFisherman,
    Do you have a recipe and casing type/size for the snack sticks?[p]I followed a deer salami recipe this weekend and they came out very dry.
    Bob

• BBQ Bob Trudnak,
    I used the same recipe that I gave to fishlessman check out the reply I sent to him.[p]I used sheep casings for the snack sticks. I got brined ones from my butcher, but you can buy the salted ones from any outdoor mega mart. They turned a nice amber color after smoking them and hanging them for a couple days in the basement.[p]My only response to why yours dried out is that maybe you didn't use enough fat. What type of pork did use to mix with it? I used cubed up pork shoulder, it is a little more expensive than the pork trim that most people buy, but it has way more fat content. And it is usually the back fat on it, which is the richest and most flavorful fat on a pig.[p]Good Luck
    AT