Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

GFW's Wings--Up the Learning Curve!

Options
Big Murth
Big Murth Posts: 350
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night had GFW's Wings, which are the equivalent of ChefRD's in many respects, but have a mess and step-saving feature of using plastic bags for the prep. Came out great, all the more so thanks to one of your's tips on keeping (was it you NB?) the fire from roaring out of control when you have to turn the wings----simply, close off the bottom vent (duh!)---it really does help! Homemade "Wing-Time" style sauce, made with a whole stick of butter and extra garlicky plus oregano........I scarfed the few leftovers about an hour ago. Yeah baby!!
Big Murth

Comments

• Frozen Chosen
    Options
    Big Murth,
    I've got wings on this weeks menu. I usually soak them in a mix of red hot, garlic, brn sugar, sage, and a shot of Dave's Insanity. The batter recipe sounds weird with no deep frying, but I thought I'd try. One question: can you just up the cayenne if you want a hotter wing, or step on the basting sauce?

• Big Murth
    Options
    FrozenChosen,
    I'd mix all your ingredients in the recommended recipes' (ChefRd's and GFW's) wash consisting of one egg mixed with one cup of milk. With all that heat mixed in with the liquid, it will definitely impart the "hot" you're looking for. Then roll them (on a platter or in a plastic food bag) in the mixture of corn meal and flour, again..per the recipe. IMHO, the batter (egg wash plus dry ingredients) helps to keep these bad boys from burning and helps, more importantly, to maintain the flavor (heat). Rest assured, that even though you are not deep-fat frying these, that the batter/crust will be nice and crisp, and a big part of the flavor. If you're sharing, you may want to have two sauces, one for you, and one for the tenderfeet who need it lighter. Don't forget a little smoking wood, apple or hickory works real well.
    Big Murth

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Big Murth, really glad they turned out. The original recipe is a true original from ChefRD :~}

• Big Murth
    Options
    Gfw,
    Yeah, you guys really made a great contribution to the Egg recipe vault, when you weighed in with your respective versions of a great cook. Both are so similar, but I have to admit, that once I tried using the food storage bags for the wash, then dry coating....it's hard to go back to anything else. I keep raving about you two's foolproof recipes, and others pump me for info/advice...I always want to point out the source. Thanks again from me and all the girls in the household, plus guests---who suggest we produce these for commercial purposes!! Perish the thought, ladies and gentlemen$$$$$$$$$
    Big Murth