Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egghead here :^)

Options
Rub
Rub Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm joining the ranks and am going to keep my large egg and compact table that I acquired as part of the 50 Egg Club this year. The table has a little mildew on it, so it looks like the best way to fix that is with a bleach/water solution? After I clean it I want to stain it to hopefully protect against that again. I'll buy a cover for it, and it looks like I need to buy a patio stone for it's base. All sound about right? Are there any other "must-haves" besides a plate setter? Thanks for the help, and I'm lookin forward to lots of great food![p]Rub

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Rub,
    A grid extender is a must have for 2 level cooking and cooking higher up in the dome. -RP

• Essex County
    Options
    Rub,
    Welcome! The 50 egg club. Does that mean you won your egg at a BBQ competition? Your thoughts on cleaning and preserving your table sound reasonable. Yes, you need the paving stone under the egg. As for accessories, the plate setter is very useful. I also have an ash tool that helps with cleanup. I don't have much else (other than 3 eggs). What were you cooking on before?[p]Paul

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Rub, Yea, a 10%(+) bleach/water solution will resolve a mold problem that isn't too severe. Just let the mix (applied liberally with something like a clean, used, laundry spray bottle) soak in a bit and then scrub the wood with a stiff brush & rinse with water. Repeat on stubborn areas if necessary. Make sure that you're working over a surface that the bleach won't damage!! Let the wood dry completely for a few days (bringing indoors if necessary) and then get 'er done with a finishing product. I bought an 'ash tool' for my Lg. Egg but it was a waste of $$ as the ashes spilled on the floor of my lanai in the cleaning process. My advice... wait until the firebox is cold, put on a surgeon's glove (buy 'em by the box) and pull out any 'leftover' pieces of lump that you want to save. Then, suck (I mean vacuum) out what's left with your Shop Vac. A 'plate setter' is a must, as is an oven thermometer to monitor the 'grid' temp. You'll also most likely want an instant-read, meat thermometer and perhaps a grill (cooking surface) extender. And an Egg cover...? I would consider only if it sits outside and is directly exposed to the weather. Another hint is that you might want to elevate your firebox grate 1/4" or so with a 'mod' kit that you can fabricate yourself. I did this at day-1 and I truly believe it enhances the air flow and makes for better cooks. One of the 'regulars" has a diagram that's easy to follow. Most likely others will chime in with more hints. If you're new here there's a wealth of information available just for the asking! Good luck & happy cookin'![p]Rascal
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Rub,[p]Good move. Welcome Rub. I'll show you the secret egger handshake when I see you.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Rub
    Options
    Thanks AZRP, I'll add that to my list.[p]Rub

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    Rub,
    buy a thermopen! that was the advice given to me by a veteran egger and bbq master. i followed it.
    welcome

• Rub
    Options
    Essex County, thanks. Yes, I won it at the Coweta GA Up in Smoke cookoff.
    Just got done scrubbing it with a bleach solution, which didn't work. I may need to get the sander to it tomorrow.
    I also have 2 Stump's Smokers that I use for contests, and a trailer offset that I made. My Egg will mostly be a stay-on-the-porch grill used for steaks, pizza, etc.[p]Rub

• Rub, if you are going to do a lot of steaks get a cast iron grill. For pizza get a pizza stone, some use the plate setter as a pizza stone, but from what I have read here a pizza stone works better. You will at some point be taking a hot plate setter out of your egg. Get some Orka silicone gloves, or at least some very thick leather gloves, and when you grab that plate setter know exactly where you are going with it, your hands will get hot quickly.
  • Rub
    Options
    Thanks Rascal. The mildew didn't come off with the bleach, so I'll try something different tomorrow. [p]Got the instant read already, and my setup is right out in the open weather. I think some sort of cover will be helpful. I'll look for the mod to raise my grid - that sounds like a good idea.[p]Rub

• Rub
    Options
    Thanks Ray - I hope I can remember it.
    See you soon...[p]Rub

• Rub
    Options
    Thanks bill, already got one! They are hard to live without once you get used to having one, that's for sure.[p]Rub

• Rub
    Options
    Cast iron grill and a pizza stone: check, check.[p]Thanks Zee.[p]Rub