Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Luncheon for 20 folks

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I plan on smoking a Boston Butt to make pulled pork for about 20 co-workers. Whats the general rule for lbs per person?

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    DawgSmoke,
    When the guys come over, I figure a minimum of 8 oz. finished product for each. 20 guys, 10 pounds of meat minimum. Figure a loss somewheres about 40%. Conservatvely, I figure half.[p]So I would cook 3 eight-pounders for 20 guys, and hope for some leftovers. Assuming your crowd has a few light eaters, I would probably cook a minimum of 16 pounds. Again, leftovers are never a problem to deal with.[p]Not overly scientific, but hope it helps. For more detailed discussions, you might check Basso's forum. There are many people who cater for a living, and they have it down to a science. Yell if you need the url.[p]have fun!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Options
    DawgSmoke,
    Over on Basso's forum thet would say between 3 to 4 ozs. per person. I however wold go with Nature Boy figures.
    Fireball

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    DawgSmoke,
    Some factors to consider:
    Is this the only meat offered?
    Does everyone eat Pork?
    What other side dishes are offered? Make sure to make some Cole slaw.
    What is the ratio of men to women in the 20 co-workers?[p]That being said, two 7 pound butts should work for you. If everyone had two sandwiches, then you would need at most 40, the reality is that you need about 30 sandwiches, which is less meat then you think. Fourteen pounds starting weight of Pork should give you leftovers.[p]Make the meat one day in advance and pull it. Reheat the meat in a chafing dish or a crock-pot the day of eating. Butts can be difficult to time. You do not want to face a hungry angry mob and you saying you need another hour.[p]Hope this Helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]