Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Even-Burning Fires

Options
Flashback Bob
Flashback Bob Posts: 519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Lately I've been having trouble with my fires burning off to one side rather than straight down from where it starts. I'm using 3 starter chunks, equally spaced around the center. Often the coals wind up burning more on one side (or one quadrant) resulting in the need for me to move things around. If you have a grill full of food, this is a real pain.[p]Possible causes I'm thinking of include an uneven mix of new and old lump, but I believe it has happened with 100% new lump too.[p]Another possibility was vent holes in the firebox being blocked with ash buildup. But I typically keep it pretty clean.[p]When I have noticed this condition occuring before the meat is on I have tried stirring the coals to intermingle the burning and non-burning coals more evenly but only with limited success. [p]So is this a common occurrence? Am I being too anal? Am I not paying enough attention to building the fire?[p]I dunno, what do you think?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    hot spot for me is usually back of the cooker, more to the left, 11 oclock. weed burner gives a more even fire, but not perfect, something to do with the air intake opening in the fire box. i always put larger pieces toward that area, bigger chicken thighs, with a brisket put the thicker end toward the back, with a turkey aim the legs toward the back of the cooker. using less lump and a raised grill helps alot at evening out the heat, but its easier to learn to work with it.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Flashback Bob,[p]Is it consistently burning toward one place? There seems to be a slight tendency for the back to burn hotter, because the air flow from the bottom vent sweeps slightly toward the back. [p]Hot spots are fairly common. Its just a natural occurence because the fire moves irregularily through the lump. I had a few bags that had almost all big chunks. The big lumps would burn hot at first, but without smaller bits between, the fire would almost go out, and spread very unevenly.[p]Also, try starting your fires farther toward the outside. That way they will tend to burn inwards while going down.[p]gdenby
  • Flashback Bob
    Options
    gdenby,
    Thanks, I believe you and fishless nailed it. [p]The hot spot is usually in the 10:00 - 11:00 area, now that you mention it.
    I'll try lighting the fire off center, closer to the front and see what happens.

• Little Steven
    Options
    Flashback Bob,[p] This is not intended to be an endorsement but I have noticed my normal hot area isn't there with the Turbograte.[p]
    Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Dimple's Mom
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    I always have one there, too, and never paid attention that it was always in the same place.[p]Gwen