Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold and drizzly...might as well make some jerky...

SouthOfI10
SouthOfI10 Posts: 213
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
DSC01197.jpg
<p />First batch of jerky this fall. Cold and rainy is perfect for making jerky[p]DSC01198.jpg[p]What did we do before the Guru? Oh, yeah, we got cold and wet trying to keep temps down without putting out the fire....[p]Anyone else in a jerky mood?

Comments

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    SouthOfI10,[p]Not yet here - I'll be your sampler though ;)..??[p]Cute fan cover - did you purchase that piece off the shelf then bend and drill a hole?
  • SouthOfI10,[p]Yup... us too & some cheese smokin too.
  • Jeeves,
    Thanks. Nah, it's just a scrap piece of Al that I had around the garage and cut/bent to fit. It works great, though.

• Grandpas Grub ,[p]I've never tried to smoke cheese. I'll bet that it's great, though. Do you use the methods that I've seen here with a few briquetts, ice, etc?
  • SouthOfI10,
    Nice setup, Scott. What cut of beef you do have? Looks like round or sirloin tip.[p]Mike

• Thanks, Mike.[p]Top round was on sale (if you call $3.49/lb a sale). My old man has been on my arse to make some jerky, so I ran out of excuses.[p]You cookin' today?
  • SouthOfI10,[p]My 17 year old son came in while I was looking at your photo. He loves jerky and has now asked me to make some for him. [p]I would appreciate it if you could post or email me your recipe/procedure.[p]Thanks. [p]Smoke Diver[p][p]

Smoke Diver
  • SouthOfI10,
    I cooked a fattie on the mini at the wash this am. Still doing the leftover turkey thing. I lost my turkey tetrazinni recipe. So I cooked up some Angel Hair pasta, added some mushrooms, and 2 cans of Campbells mushroom soup. Little bit of this and that. Coated with Parmesean Cheese, baked on the egg at 425 for 1 hour. Pretty good.
    Must please dad, what did you use for flavoring? Anything changed? I still use GFW's basic and modify it a little.[p]Mike

• SouthOfI10,
    So, what exactly is "cold and rainy" south of I-10?

• Smoke Diver,
    Sure.[p]The recipe is easy, and the measurements aren't precise. In recent years, I have toned down the pepper considerably for my daughter. If you like, multiply the cayenne by 3x. It rocks![p]Soy sauce and/or Dale's ~1.5 - 2C
    Worcestershire ~1/4C
    Maple syrup or brown sugar ~1/2C
    Garlic Powder ~1/2TBS
    Onion Powder ~1/2TBS
    White Pepper ~1/2TBS
    Black Pepper ~1/2TBS
    Cayenne ~1/2TBS[p]
    Whisk all of the ingredients in a bowl until no clumps of the powders remain. I don't heat the mix or boil or anything and it still comes out fine. I use Top Round (London Broil) if I can find it on sale. Have the butcher slice it across the grain about 3/16" to 1/4", depending on how you like it (Most grocery store butcher shops will do this at no charge, and it saves you a lot of work!). Remove most of the fat and cut into strips or pieces that you like. Pour the marinade over the strips in a container, mix well and put in the fridge for at least 2 days, remixing at least once. [p]For the Egg, I have really become dependant on the BBQ Guru for jerky. I like to slow smoke at ~150-160F, and these temps can be bothersome to maintain without one. If you don't have one, just be patient and make frequent visits to the Egg to make sure that your temp doesn't get too high or the fire go out. It usually takes 6-8 hours at 150F, depending on how thick your roast is sliced.[p]Hope this helps.[p]Scott

• SouthOfI10,[p]Thanks for the recipe. I will try it one of these weekends when I have some time to baby the egg since I don't have a guru. I may need to suprise my wife with a new guru for Christmas![p]Smoke Diver

Smoke Diver
  • newegglander,
    I'm not located in the South anymore. I'm here in Atlanta, and these northern winters are killing me! Ha. Right now, it's about 49F and the drizzle has stopped. I wish that it would continue, 'cause we sure need the rain.

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    SouthOfI10,[p]Ok...I'll visit your garage. I've been wondering/worrying about the 'what if it rains' condition...[p]Great Idea![p]-Jeeves
  • SouthOfI10,[p]I used a coffee can with some small lump & ice in a zip lock placed in a pie pan.