Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

my turn to thank everybody!!

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
well gang, i'm about all turkey'd out. . . these last couple of days ended up being pretty crazy. .. first, tuesday night, due to some taxi/train issues, the spawn didn't make it home till well after midnight on tuesday night. .. wednesday morning we had some doctor appts, and i started cooking doing prep work, etc for thursday. . .didn't finish and get to bed to well after midnight on wednesday night... also, opened the hotline on wednesday and had about a dozen calls. .some folks calling with questions, and some just calling to say hi!!. .[p]thursday, got up at 6am, started prepping ham and turkey, getting eggs lit, etc. . .opened up the hotline at around 7:30 am. .. . probably had about 30 calls yesterday, some were panic calls, some just afirmation that they were doing the right thing, and again, a bunch from folks just calling to say hi and happy thanksgiving. ..got calls from all across the land, from washington state to florida and everywhere in between. .. it was fantastic talking to everyone.. . .at one point late in the morning so many calls were coming that we opened the second hotline. ..in the middle of all this, along with not having a working dishwasher, the kitchen sink stopped up, and for 45 minutes i had to play plumber, taking the drains all apart, clearing the clog, and putting everything back together (so if you called around 12 -1:00 and i sounded a little 'short' with you, i apologize. ..but i was trying to provide hotline help, fix the sink, and make sure my cooking stayed on schedule- WHEW) . . .[p]once again though, everyone that called .. .. no trolls or crank calls, everyone was so friendly and genuinely kind. .. .people think i'm nuts for doing this, but as long as I keep getting treated so well by the callers, i will continue to do the hotline thing!! . .. so THANKS to everyone. . .. [p]as you could see from the spawn's post last night, our dinner was great, we had family, neighbors and friends, a total of 10 folks, and the food was all good. ...of course, then i got clean up last night after everyone left, i was up till about 12:30 doing that before finally calling it quits and hitting the sack. . .then back up at 6 this morning to finish washing pots and pans, and then coming into the office.. ..[p]so, its been another hectic but wonderful thanksgiving. ..i wouldn't have it any other way :-)[p]ok, only two weeks till chanuka and a couple of more til christmas !. ..may need to open the "jewish brisket hotline" for chanuka and the "prime rib hotline" for christmas. ..we'll see :-)

Comments

• Rusty Rooster
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Max, thank YOU for all you do and for your GREAT attitude on here.
    Tom

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Thanks to you Max. I am glad it worked well for you yet again. I was going to call just to say Hi, but when you opened the "Second Hot Line," I figured you had enough to do with out me calling. Maybe I'll call for the Brisket Hot Line, but that won't be just to say HI...[p]Happy Thanksgiving!
    Joe

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    well max i was going to call to just say hi but it sounds like i made the right choice. it sounds like a great MM turkey was had by alot of people. alhtough not by me i had oven turkey at moms but i'm am thinking about doing abig thanksgiving meal for the weekend of my birthday because i don't get to cook one we always have to go to moms and i only get to do what i think i can without taking away from mom's thunder( dressing, gravy, and peeling potatoes) but i mad a big deal out of the gravy and put a couple turkey thighs in a crock pot for my broth turned out pretty good!! anyway i'm sure you helped alot of people out during their difficult times. i opened my own hotline to the two new eggheads that bought a egg at eggtoberfest and sent them both a l;ink to your turkey they both tried it and both came away satisfied so what ever you and the whiz's final count is on the mm turkey add two.[p][p][p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning mad max beyond eggdome:[p]Is the hotline open today??? Just kidding, I didn't do a turkey yesterday since we were going to friends then to son's in-laws, so I just put our turkey on the Egg about 15 minutes ago. Glad to hear everything worked out well even with the disruptions. May call just to say Hi![p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    SSN686,
    sure, give me a holler anytime. .. .i did the yams yesterday to RAVES!! . .. a couple of things i did different though. . .[p]1. instead of squash, i cut up a bunch of apples ...[p]2. added more shaking the tree than last time to give it a little more 'umph'. ...still not a lot, but more than just a shake or two ...[p]3. about halfway through the cook, i started shaking a cinnamon/sugar mix over everything. .. did this about every 5 minutes while i continued to 'toss' them in the wok, for about 20 minutes. . .so it was a pretty fair amount of coating. ..really added some nice flavor to the dish. . .[p]as i said, everyone (including my son sam who is almost strictly a rice/pasta eater) really loved them. . .we'll be doing them again soon, . .. .[p]thanks again jay!!

• Ross in Ventura
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Thank you for all the help you have giving with answering post and emails.
    Thank You Max,
    My Best.
    Ross

• BluesnBBQ
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I forgot to call and ask if your refrigerator was running or if you had Prince Albert in a can. :) Maybe next year I'll remember.
  • Buckethead
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Class Act
    You are appreciated by many.
    Best wishes to your family who share you
    Doug

• Carbonizer
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I blew it; There was my chance to open the Thanksgiving Plumbers "hotline".

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Couldn't make the forum nor Max Hot Line Turkey thing this year, cuz we were at the beach for Thanksgiving, but would be very very interested in getting your expert help with brisket during the holidays--if you dicide to do it. Just tell me what to do.