Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Mad Max Success!

Options
Ron_L
Ron_L Posts: 163
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks for all of the hard work, Max! you made me look like a hero! :)[p]Starting the stock...[p]IMG_4433.jpg[p]The turkey has a headache :)[p]IMG_4435.jpg[p]Into the Egg...[p]IMG_4436.jpg[p]Three hours later. The top was a little dark, but the skin was crispy and the meat was very moist. I brined the bird for 14 hours and let it equalize in the fridge for 4 hours.[p]IMG_4439.jpg[p]Cornbread-Apple Dressing (it was supposed to be Cornbread-Apple-Fatty dressing but the fatty never made it out of the fridge :) )[p]IMG_4440.jpg

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Options
    No pics, but our guests all raved about the MadMax turkey and gravy. Many thanks, Max.
  • Cad_Trev
    Options
    IMG_0147.jpgIMG_0145-1.jpgIMG_0146.jpgIMG_0150.jpg
    pretty much best ever moist turkey,thanks to mr mad max and your devotion to turkey nirvana!

• Big Hoser
    Options
    Ron_L and Max,
    Good lookin' pixs, Ron. Unfortunately, though my turkey looked fine, I had not confidence in the result so no pics...
    Well, my Mad Max turkey didn't start off so well. First, I had trouble maintaining a steady 350 dome temp in the Egg: it would go from 280 to 430 in a blink of an eye (okay, a few swigs of beer). I guess I'm just not used to maintaining temps with so much meat in there (21 lb bird). Anyway, since it spent so much time in the 400 range, I had to pull a couple of hours early. Bad part: thermapen read 190 in the thigh, 180 in the breast! D'oh!! As I took it out of the Egg, I was muttering, "Oh crap, oh crap, oh crap..." My first time making gravy turned out goopy as Mom said I had too much grease in there and there was nothing we could do to save it! I was just thinking, "Oh man, bringing a turkey for 12 and it's going to be dry, no gravy...."
    Luckily, I already had a backup plan (though not really needed). I had a 7lb breast in the small, smoke-roasted over pecan, injected with the cajun creole butter, and rubbed with DP STT. My small Egg held a steady 350 dome and was done in a little over 2 hours. Man, that was tasty!
    As for the big bird from the large Egg, I shoulda known to trust the Egg. Not dry at all, very flavorful and everyone raved about the dark meat from that bird (and the breast meat actually wasn't dried out as I feared. Not as good as the stuff from the small, but decent). The Egg saved my Thanksgiving, allowing me to overcook the bird by a good 10+degrees and still turn out moist and flavorful!. Now I gotta work on that gravy....[p]By the way, thanks Max for the recipe, tips, etc. Everyone loved how that bird smelled and couldn't wait to dig in even as I warned 'em, "Well, it might be a bit dry..." Good thing it's hard to screw up a cook in the Egg!

• Ron_L
    Ron_L Posts: 163
    Options
    Big Hoser,[p]Glad it worked out in the end! i had an "oh crap" moment after the turkey went into the Egg. I was expecting a temperature drop and a slow recovery but with a 13 lb. bird i didn't expect the temp to drop from 325 (stable for an hour) to 225! But, I had faith in the more experienced eggers so I "trusted the Egg" and left my damper and daisy wheel setting alone. 30 minutes later the temp was only up to 275. I started getting nervous but didn't panic yet. After 45 minutes i was watching the temp climb toward 300 but everytime it hit 300 it would fall back down to 275. Now I was starting to freak out. My first thought was that maybe the wind was restricting the airflow out of the top (it was gusting to about 25 mph) so I rolled the Egg closer to the house to get it out of the wind. Bingo! The temp went up. Then it went down. Then it went up. Then it hit me. I was worried about the thermometer hitting the bird (even though it really wasn't close) so I had taken off the retaining clip and put it on the thermometer on the outside of the dome as a spacer. Well... the thermometer was moving in and out of the Egg! that was why the temp was acting so strange. I took off the clip and stuck the thermometer in all the way and the temp reading came up to 325 and stayed there! I was within minutes of calling the hotline. I was glad that I didn't call. I would have felt like a real idiot (not that I wasn't. it would have just re-enforced it) :)[p]