Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Brining Buckets" - what do you use?

TRex
TRex Posts: 2,714
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a little worried about using this styrofoam cooler that we just bought, but this Alton Brown brining recipe calls for a 15 gallon cooler - um, that's huge. What I really want to use is like one of those gatorade/water coolers, but they're around 5 gallons. I just find it hard to believe that I need a 15 gallon cooler.[p]Anybody know how much water a 15 pound turkey displaces?[p]Thinking outloud,[p]TRex

Comments

• TRex,
    Mine is brining now, 13# in a 5 gal water cooler & a white food safe bag, then ice & water on top & around. Works for me, How much a 15# displaces, I dunno, but I believe it would have fin in my 5 gal cooler. Hope this helps a little.
    Tom

• TRex,I bought a 14 lb turkey this year and bought a Rubber Made water cooler at Walmart for $16 and have the turkey brining in it with plenty of room to spare. Not even close to be full capacity.

• TRex, Forgot to mention that my Rubber Made water cooler is 5 gallon capacity.

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    TRex,[p]I scrub out the utility room sink (stainless) with some bleach, rinse her down, and just stick the turkey in there with a bucket of ice poured over. When it seems like it is getting a little warmer, I pour in more ice. Works fine. I have a 22 pound in there right now. The problem with using a larger container is you end up with brine that is waaay too shallow. This sink just fits the turkey and even then had to add some cold water. I've discovered it's all pretty flexible.[p]mShark
  • I use a stockpot that fits in my fridge. Since I have a gig tonight, I made the brine last night. It's pretty simple - water, apple cider, salt, brown sugar, peppercorns, bay leaves and thyme. [p]I'll put the turkey (about 12 lbs) in the brine tonight before the gig, take it out to rest tomorrow morning, and put it in the Egg to smoke around 11:00.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    TRex,
    in the past ive just used one of the beer coolers washed out first, and added some liter bottles filled with water and frozen to make up the space instead of adding a lot of ice that will water things down

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mollyshark,
    That is why I like the bag & water cooler. Turkey & brine in the bag, squeeze out the air then ice and water around it, put on the lid & forget it till you are ready for the next step, I like easy.
    Tom

• TRex,
    i use a six gallon bucket that i got from a restaurant.... it has a really cool screw on lid.... most restaurants will give 'em to ya if ya ask....my understanding is that the food buckets are made outta a different kind of plastic that doesn't allow dangerous chemicals to leach out and subsequently transfer to your food.(probably an urban myth)..rr

• CAMRFSCW18.jpg
    <p />TRex,[p]I use a Cambro 18 qt round food service container that I bought at a restaurant supply store. I have used it for years and it is the perfect brining vessel. It's made for food storage so you don't have to worry about toxins, and the measurements on the side are especially helpful. I usually do 2 gallons of brine, and the other 2 gallons of room gives me plenty of space for the displacement of the turkey. I have brined 20 lb turkeys in it and filled the thing to the top. It also fits in my fridge perfectly. YMMV on that.[p]To answer your other question, right now I have a 15 lb turkey brining, and it is displacing about 5 1/2 quarts.[p]Happy turkey day TRex!
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    TRex,
    I got a bucket from publix food dept. and what I do is put the 21lb turkey in a bag,lower it into the bucket, fill between the bucket and bag with ice, and then add the brine. The ice keeps the bag from overswelling and having all of the brine collecting at the bottom of the bag. I tie off the bag and then cover in ice to the top. Then I put the entire rig in the fridge. 21lb. turkey displaced 1 & 1/2 gallons of brine. HTH.

• TRex,
    I use an XXL Ziploc bag (3 for 5 bucks) which holds my 20 lb bird and 2 gallons of brine nicely. It double "zips" and allows one to bleed all the air out pretty easily. Safe, secure, air tight with no leaks and makes rotating the bird a piece of cake without a drop spilled! Also fits in the fridge more easily. Happy T-giving to all!

• TRex,
    If you have a Firehouse Subs in your area, they will sell you their food safe 5 gallon buckets with lids for 2 bucks. They get their pickles in the buckets, and give the 2 bucks to a firefighters charity.[p]-Jonathan

• TRex,
    turkey density is a bit less than water (due to the fat) but let's assume its density is the same as water. water's density is 8.33 lb per gal.
    volume of water displaced by 15 lb turkey in gallons:
    15 lb / 8.33 lb per gal = just a shade less than 2 gal. since turkey is less dense than water, it will displace a bit more than 2 gal.[p]can't imagine why AB called for a 15 gal cooler instead of a 5 gal Gott-type water bucket unless he wanted the bird sitting flat on the bottom of the cooler instead of standing on its head in the Gott.[p]ken[p]