Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hey Mad Max

Options
mr.b
mr.b Posts: 75
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
biggreeneggforum015.jpg
<p />say max, is this how the gravy is supposed to look? i think it turned out pretty well. tasted good too. question though. i bought a cheap bird from kroger on monday to do a trial run yesterday mostly for timing and to make sure i would have no surprises for the big day. it was a frozen bird with the usual solution added to the bird (i will be picking up a fresh bird today for thursday) but this brining i have been hearing and reading about got me curious so i brined the bird i cooked yesterday. it came out good moisture wise but i thought it was a little hammy and salty in the darker areas. the breast wasn`t too bad. i am thinking about not brining the fresh bird i am picking up later today because of yesterdays outcome. did the frozen bird come out this way from brining because it was already injected with solution and would i have better luck with brining the fresh bird that should have no solution added. i don`t want a hammy tasting bird.

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    mr.b,
    your gravy looks terrific. . . .[p]as for brining, i'm really not the one to ask ... i've never brined anything in my life. . .my turkey is always moist and always tastes like a roast turkey .. .. now having said that i know a lot of people here brine their birds and love them. .. so i'm not exactly sure what gave your bird a hammy taste .. . [p]one of these days i'm gonna have to brine a bird just to fine out what's it all about ...:)

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    mr.b,
    Birds injected with "the usual solutions" are not good for brining. All you're doing is partially replacing their marinade with your solution which will produce the kind of tastes that you describe. OTOH, brining a fresh, unadulterated turkey produces the flavors and salt that you like. Enjoy!

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]An old resturant trick with chicken or turkey gravy is to put a little tomato past in it...[p]Try it sometime ...you might be surprised