Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filets suggestions

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooking Fillets for the first time tonight on my large BGE. Any suggestions?

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    porch,
    if they are thick (over 1 1/2 inches), t=rex them. ...get your egg up to 700 degrees+, [p]rub some olive oil and dizzy pig cowlick or raising the steaks rub on them (if you don't have any dp rubs, go with simple salt and pepper, maybe a little garlic salt. ..[p]put the steak on the grill for EXACTLY 90 seconds. ...flip for another 90 seconds. ..remove the steaks to a platter for 20 minutes to rest (don't put them where the dog can get to them). ...during the 20 minute rest, shut your vents down to get the egg down to 400 degrees. ..then put the steaks back in the egg for about another 4 - 5 minutes per side till they are done the way you want them. . .[p]if you are new to this, read the naked whiz's site on flashback. ...its very important so that you don't burn yourself. ...[p]if the steaks are thinner than 1 1/2 inches. ..simply get your egg going at around 500 - 550 degrees. . .prep the steaks the samw way as described above, but simply grill them about 5 minutes per side till done to your liking. ...

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    porch,
    do what max said plus wrap some bacon around the edges and toothpick in place [better living through bacon!]. i usually throw on a small piece of hickory when i do steak but then again i don't use a rub. regardless filet is not well marbled and it is easy to over cook. i take mine off early and cover while it rests [i like to hear it MOO when i cut it].
    grill some asparagus while it is resting. happy dinner to you.
    bill

• JDub
    JDub Posts: 23
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]When you said that you need to shut the vents to reduce the temp from 700 to 400 do you mean close them or shut them down to almost no outside air?
    [ul][li]http://m[/ul]
  • BamaEGG
    BamaEGG Posts: 170
    Options
    porch,[p]I T-Rex'd two fillets last night. They were about a 1 3/4" inch thick each and turned out pretty dang good. My wife who normally doesnt eat a lot of steak loved them.[p]I also got a great deal on the another couple of fillets because the chick at the store dropped them on the floor when they cut them. Nothing 750 degrees can't clean up.[p]I would recommend about 4 1/5 to 5 minutes a side for medium rare.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    JDub,
    just about completely. ..you don't want to completely snuff your fire (and you aren't likely to in only 20 minutes). ..