Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nice + Yummy NY strips, dwell time

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Just finished a dinner of NY strips that we got for $2.99 lb. I added a little salt and pepper and grilled 'em for 5 minutes per side (rotated after 2 minutes for grill marking) at ~550, no dwell time. The steaks were just perfect, between med-rare and medium.[p]I've tried using a dwell time before, with little success. Is there a guide line for dwelling that I could try? What are the advantages of using a dwell? My strip steaks came out really good, would adding a dwell make them better?[p]Thanks for the help,
Kevin

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Kevin Klostermann, the advanbtage to dwell time is that flames don't continue to hit the meat directly. That way the outside is not quite as charred. Personally, I have found the time you did to be about right (ten minutes) but I do it 3/3/4 rather than 5/5/0. Another advantage is that if you have folks that like their meat done in varying degrees of doneness - you can take the medium rares off at 3/3/0 and leave the mediums for 3/3/4 and leave those who like it well done at 3/3/8.

• Wise One,[p]Thanks for the info. I'm beginning to see the process here.
    Same total time and temp to a particular doneness, but less time over open flames. I'll have to try the 3/3/4 method and see/taste the difference. I still have about 15 steaks, so there's plenty of room for experimentation! [p]Now my only current egging problem is deciding on a handle.
    I was thinking of something like California Que'r or CA Carnivore or just CArnivore.[p]Thanks again for the info,
    Kevin[p]