Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Must have accessories with a new Egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am about to take the plunge hopefully before this weekend and get a Medium egg after debating it for over a year. [p]I was wondering what accessories are "must have" for a newbie egg owner?[p]I've got two buddies at work who are chomping at he bit to come over and help me break it in when I finally get it set up... [p]

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Grillin' Gary,[p]The three accessories I use most are:[p]A MAPP torch to light the lump, used every time
    A grill extender, used more than 60% of the time
    A platesetter for about 30%[p]After that, gee, a bunch. V-rack, rib rack, couple of thermometers and a remote thermometer, pizza stone, fish grill, skewers, long tongs, meatloaf basket, dutch oven, soapstone gridle, big wide spatula, etc. etc...[p]Oh, and another medium. I have two, a single one gets lonely.[p]I spent 18 months convincing myself to buy the Egg. I've regretted every month I waited. Like many folks, you are likely to make-up for wasted time once you get your Egg.[p]gdenby[p]

• BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options
    Grillin' Gary,[p]Welcome![p]I would say to get a platesetter for indirect cooking, a grid extender for better direct cooking and/or cooking more food, a weed burner form Harbor Freight to take care of lighting the egg, a Maverick ET-73 wireless meat/pit thermomter, and a Thermopen for instant reading temps.[p]Also be sure to read up on the Tao of Charcoal, as well as the FAQ on TNW's site.[p]hth[p]Big T[p]

[ul][li]The Tao of Charcoal[/ul]
  • Biscuit
    Biscuit Posts: 208
    Options
    Grillin' Gary,[p]Plate setter and V rack are used together alot of times.
    Other than that,maybe a cover,ashtool,grill gripper. Also buy Egg Mates. Side tables are nessasary so the dawg won't be eatin steak.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,826
    Options
    Grillin' Gary,
    i would keep things to a minimum. maybe a pizza stone, some fire bricks, a cheap paella pan for a drip pan and or casseroles, and an extra grate. take the savings from everything else your thinking of buying and get a large. you dont need much to cook in an egg, but the larger size in this case gives you more options imho.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • penfresh
    penfresh Posts: 103
    Options
    Grillin' Gary,[p]you have to have an ash tool, plate setter and a pizza stone. With those you can cook anything.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Grillin' Gary, I mulled over the size question for months and finally decided on a large. I doubt I'll ever regret it. Mine came with a nest, side mates, 20# of BGE lump and the daisy wheel. I've been using a mapp torch which I had on hand but might switch to a chimney starter in the future. So far I've purchased a plate setter and an ash tool. You might want to consider a pair of elbow length welder's gloves or oven mitts to protect your fur during those hi-temp cooks! Perhaps Santa will bring me a thermapen, Maverick, pizza stone, pizza peel and some Dizzy Pig spices. I cooked a few, small pork butts yesterday and darn if someone didn't start to pullin' while I went to get my camera! Enjoy your new toy![p]Rascal[p]BGE4.jpg[p]PorkButt3.jpg[p]The one on the left was done using Grill Mates Pork Rub. Same rub on the right with the addition of yellow mustard. My choice was rub & no mustard as the bark was more succulent.
  • Eggcitable Boy
    Options
    Grillin' Gary,[p]MAPP torch, the ONLY way to light your lump.
    I found that lighting existing lump from the last cookout doesnt spark as much as lighting new lump from the bag. Once it is going, I pour on a new layer of fresh lump and Im on my way.[p]Polder Thermometer with temperature probe.
    I ended up buying 2 of them in case Im doing multiple items inside my Egg. I will also monitor Turkey breast meat with one probe (155-160 degrees) and thigh meat with the other (175-180 degrees). Just to be sure both are cooking along nicely and one doesnt get too far ahead of the other. My wife thinks Im way too anal when I do this! But she loves my Turkey.[p]Guava wood chunks. By far and away the best wood to smoke pork and ribs with. Get yours from HawaiianGuava.com, Greg will send you out a neat package that will last you a while. It is truly unbelievable stuff.[p]Lawn Ranger personalized handles and products.
    I was on his list for a year before I received my items. They are first class and worth every penny. [p]Happy Egging..................Eggcitable Boy

• Susan Egglaine
    Options
    Grillin' Gary,
    I have only had my egg a few months. Fun to collect the new toys! My dealer said I should make my own table, I am not at all handy but it was fun to build and it turned out great! Gloves a must, plate setter is nice. I have a large just 2 of us.
    Happy eggin!
    Susan Egglaine

• East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    Big T,[p]I agree with the placesetter. It is relatively cheap at $40, and my first couple of cooks were done with the placesetter.[p]I think it is good for first time eggers as it keeps the fire a little more under control.[p]I hope this helps.[p]Greg
  • BamaEGG
    BamaEGG Posts: 170
    Options
    Grillin' Gary,[p]Is your dealer only selling you the Egg without any accessories? I shopped around to all the different dealers here. All of them were offering a couple of accessories but one and he was charging a more money for the LGE by itself than I ultimately paid for everything.[p]I got the Egg, Plater Setter, Nest, Egg Mates, 20 lb BGE Lump, Grid Grabber, and Ash Tool at a very reasonable price. The only things I have bought since then are a quick read Thermometer (BGE brand not Thermapen), Grid brush, and a Polder external thermometer (MUST HAVE!!!)