Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spicy Shirmp Recipe

Options
bw
bw Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had some wonderful Spicey Shrimp at Eggtoberfest and would like to get the recipe for dinner tonight if anyone knows it. I wanna say the chef was AZRP but I am not postive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.[p]Thanks bw

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    bw,
    You can download this years Eggtoberfest cookbook in a pdf file from the recipes section of my website....It should be in there, several people I believe made shrimp..SallyB made shrimp kabobs..[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    bw,[p]I've cooked it twice, and each time it got rave reviews. The pic on the left belongs to the writer of the recipe. I added mine on the right because I added scallops. Enjoy.[p]Spicy grilled shrimp Category: Group: Submitted by: AZRP Randy@bajaspa.com From: Mark Bittman
    I've made these at several fests now and am always asked, what did you put on these? Here it is. -RP
    Ingredients:
    • 1 lb 15 ct shrimp, peeled to the last section leaving the tail for a handle, b
    • 2 Clove Garlic, minced
    • 1 Tbs Kosher salt
    • 1 tsp Paprika
    • ½ tsp Cayenne pepper
    • 2 tsp Lemon juice
    • 2 Tbs Olive oil[p]Cooking Directions: • These shrimp are really killer. The recipe comes from a Mark Bittman cook book, and about the only thing you can do wrong with it is to over cook the shrimp, or try to use ones that are too small and they fall through the grid. I use the frozen U-15 ones from Sam's club. [p]Take 1 Tbs of kosher salt and 2 garlic cloves(minced) and mash them into a paste with the side of your knife or a mortar and pestle(easier). Add to that paste 1 tsp paprika, ½ tsp cayenne pepper, 2 tsp lemon juice, and 2 Tbs olive oil. Thaw and peel the shrimp, all but the tail section, for a handle. Butterfly them by cutting down the back halfway through the shrimp. If they have a vein remove it now. Mix the shrimp with the marinade then grill direct. Go about 2 minutes on the first side at about 400 dome, when they start to curl up, flip them and watch until they curl fairly tight and remove immediately. Some of them won't curl tight but you can pretty much tell when they are done, don't overcook! Let them rest for a few minutes and enjoy. -RP

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    WessB,
    You have put together a great site over the years and I often turn to your site for cooking ideas from your many Eggfest pages.
    Thanks for all your hard work to make things easy for the rest of us.
    Hope to run into you next year,
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bw
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,[p]Thank you for your recipe sounds good and the one I was looking for. Your pictures didn't come thru.[p]Did you add the scallops into the same seasoing as the shrimp and cook the same way? Did you just serve shrimp and scallops or did you have any dishes like rice....[p]Thanks again
    bw

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    bw,[p]The first time I cooked them, they were hors d'oeurves (sp?). The second time is pictured below. I was worried about the scallops taking longer, so I threw them on about two minutes before the shrimp. Like AZRP says, the only way you can ruin them is to over cook them.[p]My chef friend says the best food in the world is scallops, and the worst food in the world is scallops. Just don't cook them too long.[p]Here's what they looked like about a minute before I pulled them, and plated.[p]DSCN3077.jpg[p]DSCN3081.jpg[p]

• bw
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,
    Thank you!! I think I might try and make this up for dinner tonight. Thanks again for your help..[p]bw

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    bw,[p]I didn't answer your question completely...[p]yes, I mixed them all together in the same marinade. [p]Let us know how it turns out. Notice in the pic of the wok, most of the shrimp were curled up, and a few were not. That's how you tell when they're done. You'll love 'em.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Photo Egg,
    I really appreciate you taking the time to say such a thing....There were some websites that helped me along as a newbie, and I kinda figured my site was the least I could do to give a little something back to the forum....Not sure at this point which fests we will be attending, Waldorf is a definate....either way I would expect we will cross paths...and I am looking forward to it..Again..Thanks[p]Wess

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    P1010627Small.jpg
    <p />bw,
    If they looked like these, that was me. These are super easy and really good. -RP

• Smokin' Lady
    Options
    bw, I tried these shrimp too when I saw AZRP's recipe, and they really were killer. Next time I'm going to add the scallops, too. I butterflied some shrimp and left some just to see the difference, and I prefered the butterflied.

• Smokin' Lady,[p]Please let us know how you like them with the scallops.

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Photo Egg,[p]Ditto, Wess.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Smokin' Lady,
    Butterflying makes them cook quicker and gives more surface for the marinade to adhere. -RP