Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buckboard Bacon

RustyEgg
RustyEgg Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone used a Pork Loin for Buckboard Bacon? I have a 6lb piece in the freezer I want to use.[p]Thanks,
RustyEgg

Comments

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    RustyEgg,
    Thirdeye has a pictorial of Butt and loins for bacon.
    Bob

[ul][li]Thirdeye Site[/ul]
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    RustyEgg,
    I've done a few.[p]DSCI0010-1.jpg

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC03539a.jpg
    <p />RustyEgg,[p]Buckboarded loins turn out really nice.[p]dsc03553aaL.jpg[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • RustyEgg,
    YES! I love buckboard bacon. I've made it with shoulders, and loin. Loin makes for real nice Canadian style bacon. One hint however, wait until it is cold before slicing and packaging. If you do it warm, the collagen will solidify and you'll need to warm it up in order to separate the pieces. [p]I have also done this with a brisket for beef bacon. real nice![p]M

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    EggspertMN,
    i just got the hi mountain seasonings buckboard bacon stuff. local store sells prime well marbled chuck roast that look like rib eye i was thinking of making that into buckboard. your thoughts and/or advice??
    thanks, bill

• bill,
    Hmmm. That's just crazy enough that I might give that a try. I really liked the brisket that I did. It is a little like corned beef, cept firmer, and it frys up real nice. The chuck roast you mentioned would probably be just a s good, with a finer grain meat. [p]It should take about 10 days to cure. remember to turn it over after 5 days. For a little something extra, once you washit off, and let it sit on the counter to air dry for about 2 hours, put some ground black pepper on it, then into the smoker. internal temp of 156 degrees, then let it cool down before slicing. I refrigerate overnight, then slice it. I found that thinner is a little bit better. bout the same or a little thinner as the thick cut bacon you get at the grocery. If you get good at this, you won't be needing to buy bacon at the grocery anymore.[p]cheers[p]M

• 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    RustyEgg,
    I have used loins and had very good results also tenderloin makes a very good breakfast sandwichBBBACON001.jpg

• Painter,
    Thanks, it's done. Have the cure on order which should put the bacon ready by the first week of December.[p]RustyEgg