Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie with questions

Options
Basselope
Basselope Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Santa was very good to me and brought me a large egg. [Obviously he overlooked the naughty stuff]
Anyway I used it today for the first time and had some things that meet my egg-spections and other things that strike me as well weird.
This morning I went to road test the egg and filled it with lump. I lit it off and watched the temp rise. Got to 700*+ in under 20 minutes. I consider this to be way cool.
So tonight I went to cook a rib roast. I wanted to do it in a maner similar to Alton Brown. I laid 5 fire brick spilts [___] and put the drip pan in the center. the roast went on a v-rack and dome temp set for 230* I did not cover the roast. I was able to hold between 220-230 for most of the time the roast was in. The probe was set for 118*.[p]When the roast got to 118 I pulled it off and opened everything wide open get to 550*. I could not get the egg to go past 420* I put the roast back in but it would not pass 420*. This was with the daisy off, when I placed it on, the temp dropped by about 10 degrees. Finally got tired of waiting (20 minutes) and fired up the oven to 550* and finished this sucker.[p]So my questions for the egg-sperts are
1. Did the presence of the fire brick disrupt the air flow, and prevent the temp from going over 420*? If this isn't the reason for the lack of temp then what was it? [Plenty of lump left.][p]2. Was the fire brick necessary or did I make newbie boo-boo #42?[p]3. In screwing around with the vent on the daisy it seems like the more open it is, the higher the dome temp. Was this a correct observation?
Thanks for the help guys, I hope to hang here a lot.

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Basselope,[p]In the arrangement you described, those 5 firebrick splits represented a considerable ceramic mass for your firebox to overcome. Your mass also took up a lot of real estate on the cooking grid and blocked the upward flow of air to restrict the max temps, just as you suspected. Indirect cooking requires a mass no larger than the footprint on the grill of what you are cooking. Just 2-3 bricks would have sufficed as a pizza stone would have also. I've been using "Flame Tamers" (available in gas grill specialty stores as a replacement for lava rocks), they are the same size as the splits but only 3/8 inch thick. They do the same job with less overall heat absorbing mass.[p]The daisy wheel top was designed for fine tuning low and slow temps. Even wide open, it will artificially restrict temps to 400* or less. [p]Still sounds like you did a great job on your first cook and they will only get better from here on out.[p]K~G