Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

low/slow beef

Options
char buddy
char buddy Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
here is the verdict on doing a low/slow standing rib roast. [p]last year I did rib roast on fairly high temps (350*, I think). I got a prime-grade, dry-aged, rib roast from a fancy butcher and it set me back $100 or so. I just put a light oil on it and just popped it on the grill. It was good, memorable and really expensive. I forget other details - which woods, if any, garlic studs, if any, etc.[p]This year I followed the "Good Eats'" guy's (Alton Brown) advice to the letter. I went out and got a choice grade rib roast - (small end). At $5 a pound, I got a six-pound, three bone bargain - $30, or so. This hunk was roughly the same size as last-years monster - so I saved $70 on the front. I let the beast dry age in the fridge for two-three days, uncovered, just sitting in a plate on a shelf in the fridge. One d-day, I rubbed it with olive oil infused with crushed garlic and crushed pepperscorns. that was it.
I put it on a slow fire - between 200* and 250*, it kept bouncing around - which two or three soaked cherry wood chunks. I put the best in a v-rack covered by heavy duty aluminum foil and walked away from three hours. When the polder reached 118*, I took it off the grill, got the heat up to 55*+ and put the monster back on the grill. I didn't have the patience to just let it sit there for 15 minutes like Alton said. I stood it on its various ends for 4 minutes at a time and brought it in after it got nice crusts on all sides. [p]The results? There was more gristle and unpretty things in this year's meat than the beast I had last year. Had I been blindfolded, I probably could have picked out last year's monster by depth of flavor and chew. But this year's monster was a close second. And for $70 less, that seems worth it.[p]When I do this again, I will go with the cheap version and let the new monster dry age longer. I'll keep the cherry lumps. They gave the beef a bright flavor. I will also do the low/slow cook again because the roast comes out looking like a hugh version of rare tuna dune right at a good restaurant. A thin, flavorful crust, then a uniform, pink middle everywhere else.

Comments

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    char buddy,
    Thanks for the update on the cook. I have a six pounder waiting to do this weekend and was thinking doing it Alton's way. When you did the high temp at the end did you do it indirect or direct? When you put in V-rack covered with foil do you mean the meat was covered with foil or the rack? Did you take a temp reading on roast after the high temp run? Forgive me for all the questions. Inquiring minds want to know.
    Painter
    Local market is running whole beef tenderloins for $2.99 lb
    Gonna pick a couple up and vacuum pack. Pork spare ribs for $1.19 lb.

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    char buddy,[p] Need clarification on temp, please. You mentioned 55*, do you mean 255* or 355*. Sorry, if i read it wrong & missed your meaning.[p] Thanks
    Earl

• BillB
    BillB Posts: 26
    Options
    Earl, Per Alton Brown's method it was 550 cooking temp at the end.

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    BillB,
    Thanks Bill, i never had the chance to watch it.[p] Earl

• Painter,[p] When you did the high temp at the end did you do it indirect or dire ct? [p]I did it direct as though it were a steak.[p]
    When you put in V-rack covered with foil do you mean the meat was covered with foil or the rack?[p]I just covered the v-rack and did not do a tight wrap around the roast itself[p]Did you take a temp reading on roast after the high temp run?[p]No. Next time I will. [p]Forgive me for all the questions. Inquiring minds want to know.[p]Let me know how your's turns out.

• davidm
    davidm Posts: 64
    Options
    char buddy,[p]An alternate way to sear the outside is to do that first, in a pan on the stovetop, then take the roast out to the Egg to cook at 250 degrees. If you're doing it indirect, you might cook it to 110 internal and then open the vents to let the temp rise to 450 for 15 minutes before taking it out; if you're cooking direct, take the beast out whenever it's five degrees shy of your desired temp and let it rest, wrapped in foil, for 15-30 minutes before slicing.[p]This recipe works well for me with every kind of beef roast, including chuck and rump.[p]Cheers![p]David

• char buddy
    Options
    Painter,[p]I had some trouble with my system last night, so I couldn't chat as much as I wanted.[p]Back to the topic. I didn't wrap the roast completely in foil like I would for a baby back rib a la GFW. I just put a sheet over the top like I'd do a turkey in some recipes.[p]Like I said earlier, I'll keep tweaking, but I will definitely cook a roast this way again.[p]It will be interesting to hear what you plan on doign with the whole tenderloin.
  • char buddy
    Options
    davidm,[p]
    Like TimM. I am actively looking a good cast iron skillet and I will try that method. I read somewhere that searing doesn't actually hold in the juices like they say. It just creates that we all enjoy. So searing before or actual the roast hits temp may not matter.

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    char budy ,
    Thanks for the clear up, now I understand a little better. I'll let you know how it goes with the rib roast cook, I'm probably going to cut up the tenderloins into filets for grilling. Maybe sruff one whole with a mushroom stuffing. Happy New Year to ya.
    Painter

• davidm
    davidm Posts: 64
    Options
    char buddy,[p]I don't think searing holds in the juices, either. I think it makes the roast a little more appealing before you slice it, though...[p]Cheers,[p]David[p]