Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cooking a turducken

Options
Grumpa
Grumpa Posts: 861
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
we will be doing our first turducken on our new xlg egg. what is the best way to set up the egg to cook this 16lb beast?

Comments

• irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    bob,
    indirect heat at about 325, and it should take about 3 hours. It depends on the stuffing.
    I prepare my own birds and use a sausage meat stuffing, as that conducts the heat better than a bread stuffing. The last one I cooked, which started as a 17 pound bird, 2 large chickens and 1 duck, and about 4 pounds of stuffing, was cooked in under 4 hours. I'm afraid I never weighed the completed bird. When cooked it will hold its heat for hours because it is pure mass with no cavity, so if it is cooked before you want it, wrap it in a few towels and some foil and keep it in a hot box. It does the bird good to relax when cooked, like any other meat. It gives the juices a chance to distribute through the meat, and gives a more succulent finished dish.