Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sausage making advice???

ShortRib
ShortRib Posts: 180
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Going to ask for a sausage stuffer this Christmas. Used the KA mixer last time we made sausages. Ground and stuffed with the attachment they offer. However, it took us 10 hours for about 15 lbs of meat. So this year, I am thinking of having my butcher grind it up for me, then stuffing it myself. Don't know if this is taking the easy road, but I don't want to purchase a grinder...at least not yet. So I am going to buy a sausage stuffer. The ones I looked at ranged from 5 lbs to 11 lbs and up. I am looking at the 5 lb vertical stuffer. Has anyone used this type before? Are they easy to work? Worth the cash? (roughly $125). Any recommendations on brands or styles?[p]Lastly, is getting the butcher to grind them up a wussy move?

Comments

• mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    ShortRib,[p]I've been looking at these guys, LEM Products. They are nice but haven't decided to take the leap yet. I've only had the egg just over 2 months so another piece of equipment is not appealing just yet but I would love to be able to make my own sausage.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    ShortRib,[p]I've had a 5# vertical stuffer for, for... well I can't remember how long. Let's say 15 years. This way I won't be lying. They are the way to go. Because 5# will stuff so fast, about 5 minutes, there have been some times I wished I had a 10# barrel. On the other hand I usually make at least 3 flavors, so the 5# barrel is handy with that in mind.[p]I have no problem using a KitchenAid grinder for up to 20# of grinding. With the meat cubed and chilled until icy, this is maybe 30 or 40 minutes. WessB and a couple of others have upgraded to commercial grinders, so maybe they will jump in with advantages on those....[p]Some markets will not grind pork on request because by law, they have to re-clean the grinder after grinding pork. Others will do it, just at the end of the shift. I use a local processor when I get together with my buddies for our Christmas sausage. We buy 2 cases of butts from him (about 160#) at the case price and he charges like $.20 a pound for deboning and grinding. As a bonus, we measure our seasonings into amounts for 10# and he mixes them on the meat before grinding and packages it into 10# cubes. A real time saver.[p]On grinding day, we use a 15# stuffer and my 5# one. It takes longer to wrap and label than it does to stuff.[p]Here is a page where you can see my set-up.[p]~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Sausage[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    ShortRib,
    As Thirdeye said....I have stuffed a few casings, nowhere near the experience he has...I also use a 5# vertical stuffer and highly enjoy it...got mine on E bay and it is made by "Grizzly" I have no idea if there are any available at this time....I started out using the KA grinder also and I would double grind the meat...it took a lot of time...I decided to purchase a Cabelas 1hp commercial grinder, the first time using it I was expecting to do a double grind ( based on the KA experience ) using the coarse plate first and then the finer plate ( which didn`t work ) I now just grind once with the smaller plate.....With the coarse plate on Jason ( Hayhonker ) and I were able to grind over 70# of beef in 12 minutes...this obviously takes a little longer with the finer plate...but still WAY better than the KA grinder....however it is a pricey way to go....You can see details on my website FWIW..[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    ShortRib,
    I have a 5 lb stuffer from LEM products, I like it. I also have a 1/2 hp grinder from Cabelas that grinds meat as fast as I can load it. The problem is that it's so much fun making the various sausages that I'm running out of room in my freezer. -RP

• WessB
    AZRP,
    That`s something I can TOTALLY relate to..[p]Wess

• AZRP
    IMG_0267Small.jpg
    <p />AZRP,
    I think maybe some boudain for dinner tonight. -RP

• ShortRib,
    I also need a good stuffer. I have the KA grinder and yes it's slowwwww. But I got a good hand grinder for $15 and it will go thru 15# in 30 minutes or less. I prefer to mix my spices and beer with the cubed meet and then let it sit overnight before I grind it up.
    HTH,
    Konrad

• ShortRib, if you don't feel like stuffing into casings, follow the link for my "skinless" sausage. [p]Several people I know don't like the casings on the sausage and this works great.

[ul][li]http://askabutcher.proboards42.com/index.cgi?board=sausage&action=display&thread=1183334931[/ul]
  • ChefDave
    ChefDave Posts: 142
    thirdeye, I need to email you with questions. Can you send me your address? Thanks
    David dletts@kc.rr.com

• ShortRib
    AZRP,
    That is the one that I am looking into. Is it easy to use? Any drawbacks? Would you buy something different?

• ShortRib
    thirdeye,
    Beautiful! That is exactly what I am looking to do. Thanks for the help.

• ShortRib
    Konrad,
    Grinding 15#'s in 15 minutes! That sounds great! What is the name of that grinder? Make? Model?

• ShortRib
    WessB,
    That looks great. What is the brand stuffer you have there?

• WessB
    ShortRib,
    Here`s a link to the one I own..and you wont find a decent stuffer for cheaper than this...I`m sure the one AZRP has is probably of better construction, but I have not had any problems with this one...[p]Wess

[ul][li]Stuffer[/ul]
  • AZRP
    ShortRib,
    The only thing I wish it had is a way to release the threads so you could just pull the piston up. The way it is, when empty, you have to crank it all the way back out. I don't know if any of them have that feature. Otherwise, it is well built with metal gears. -RP

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    thirdeye,
    What temp do you smoke your sausage and what temp is the sausage done? How long does it take to finish? Thanks, Tom

• ShortRib
    WessB,
    Wow...that's affordable!

• ShortRib,[p]It's just a new #10 cast iron meat grinder I got of eBay made in China.[p]The bigger one are nicer but they need bolted down while the #10 has a screw clamp.[p]Konrad