Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Soup?

Options
bw
bw Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking to make some homemade chicken soup using the leftover chicken and carcus from a beer butt chicken we made. Does anyone have any good recipes or tips on how to do this. Any suggestion are most appreciated.[p]Had a great time at out 1st Eggtoberfest, wonderful people & food:)[p]Thanks
bw

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    bw,
    i usually just make it up as i go but HERE IS about a thousand.[p]sorry to be so vague[p][p]happy eggin
    tb[p]
    p.s. Richard FL will proabably chime in with a couple hundred

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    bw, I love to make soups of all kinds and here's what I recommend...
    Remove as much meat as you can from the carcass, cut into bite-size pieces and refrigerate.
    Put the bones in a pot, cover with water and simmer for a few hours, strain and refrigerate.
    Skim the solidified fat off the top (if you choose, otherwise skip this step) pour the stock into a pot and bring to a simmer.
    Add your favorite vegetables; carrots, onions, celery, parsley, etc. along with some spices of your liking (I often use Paul Prudhommes "Poultry Magic") along with salt & pepper.
    Simmer until the vegetables are tender, tasting and adjusting the seasonings along the way.
    Add the chicken and simmer briefly.[p]Notes: The more bones you have, the better. With that in mind I'll often freeze a carcass and wait for another one. That way the soup will set up like a gelatin from all the "goodies" when it's cooled. Using this method, I make a stock for Turkey Day ahead of time with wings &/or legs so the gravy can be prepared before the bird comes out of the oven (or BGE). Then add whatever drippings collected in the pan.
    Enjoy, Rascal

• bw
    Options
    Rascal,[p]
    Thanks you very much. Can't wait to have homemade chicken soup this weekend..[p]bw

• bw
    Options
    BENTE,[p]Thanks you, they all sound yummy[p]bw
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Rascal,
    One way to increase the amount of bones that you have in the stock is to purchase Chicken Backs. If your butcher processes whole chicken, then they usually have these and will sell them to you very cheaply. There really is not that much meat on them, but it is the bones that add richness to the broth.[p]For the first hour, you should skim off the foam that rises to the top. It is nasty stuff and you really do not want to be eating it. If you have ever done it you will know what I am talking about.[p]I also add a stalk or two of celery broken in half and a couple of whole green onions and maybe a carrot broken into large chunks. You are not going to eat the veggies as they are just there to add depth. It is sort of like the difference between stock and broth.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    RhumAndJerk, Thanks! Guess I omitted some of the basics! I just bought some turkey legs (couldn't find wings at Publix today) and I'll braise them to make a stock for T-Day stuffing & gravy (freezing it for a few weeks). Then there's the cranberry sauce (which keeps forever). The date caught me by surprise (22nd) and I can't believe it's less than 3 weeks away! Right now I've got some country ribs going lo & slow on the grill with no rub or marinade. Just want to see how they fare with no "fixin's'![p]Rascal

• Little Steven
    Options
    bw,[p]If you roast the bones it will produce a darker, richer stock.[p]Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON