Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butts 3, 4 and 5 on multi level setup

Options
Carl T
Carl T Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
3_butts_on_2_levels.jpg
<p />Above are butts 3, 4 and 5 of my 5 butt marathon. I removed the fire ring, set the plate setter (legs up) on top of the fire bowl with three 1.5 inch ss spacers between the bowl and setter to get the center area of the setter up off the full load of lump. Shaped a hd foil drip pan on top of the setter and placed the lower grill on the legs of the inverted setter. I supported the upper grill with 3 - 6 inch L shaped anchor bolts (unplated - don't need any zinc fumes) that just set on top of the lower grill in the area of the setter legs. I could have fit a fourth butt on upper grill with no problem.[p]Carl T

Comments

• Carl T,
    How long did these take to cook? How large are each? Do these have bones in them?[p]I'm hoping to do my first butt next week and trying to get any information I can.[p]Thanks

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    Carl T,[p]
    Beautiful setup Carl!!!![p]Let us know the results.[p]Mick

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    Options
    Don,[p]This pic was taken about 45 minutes into the cook. They have a long way to go yet. These are between 7 and 8 pounders. They do have a blade bone in them. These are cooking indirect at 250 dome until an internal meat temp of 200. After the meat temp reaches 180, I bump the dome temp up to 275-290. These should take about 14 - 16 hours.

I suggest you peruse the archives for butt cooks. Also check the recipes at Tim M's and GFW's sites. They give detailed info on how to set up and cook a butt to perfection. I suggest you get a polder type thermometer to monitor internal meat temp.[p]Have fun. Experiment. It is hard to mess up one of these cooks.[p]Carl T