Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

instalation of xl egg in outdoor kitchen

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning to put an xl egg in an outdoor kitchen bar. I want to achieve a built-in look. My concern is ventilation and the type of support I should use for the egg to rest.

Comments

• mwhisnant,
    Even with a load of lump, a plate setter and four large butts your egg will never weigh more than 200 pounds. It doesn't take much to support 200 pounds. [p]A lot depends on your total design because everything takes up space. If you have plenty of space you can pretty much do what you want but when you get down to fractions of inches to make things fit you will need to consider many options (metal instead of wood for some of the construction for example).[p]There are lots of people on this Forum who have experience in building outdoor kitchens or even Egg Carts who can give you advice. Best thing to do is try to be as detailed as possible with your construction ideas. Drawings or photos would help too.[p]It's really not that big 'a deal once you consider the many options available to you.[p]Spring "Here To Help" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    An XL egg weighs 205 lbs according to biggreenegg.com. If you put two 20 lb turkeys and fill it with lump, add a plate setter you will easily get to to 250-270 lbs. You will want to build something capable of holding 2 to 3 times this weight.
  • dblR
    dblR Posts: 75
    mwhisnant,[p]When my XL showed up on the back of a ABF 20' pup trlr the b/l said the freight was 290 lbs. Always alow for good ventilation. Some times you will need a fan if you really don't have adequate ventilation. When you put the XL on something make sure it is fire resistant such as concrete spacers (1 1/2" X 12"). I strongly suggest putting the little green feet on top for an air barrier so heat does not transfer through to the bottom support piece. I would also like to caution you with advice from Dr. BBQ that I have to agree with. BE CAREFUL when Trexing. 800* is alot of REAL FIRE on a XL. Get long tongs and welding gloves. But man o'man are the steaks the best you will ever have!![p]dblR
  • mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Spring Chicken,[p]Not certain if it matters, but the BGE spec on an XL is 205, and I'm assuming thats just the egg, firebox, firering, cap, and grate. Platesetter, meat, lump, extended rigs, etc I wouldn't think are included in that and an XL has a HUGE platesetter and could hold a lot of butt or brisket, 240-250 maybe??
  • mb168,
    Yes, you're correct. I must have had a brain toot about that time and didn't see the "XL" in his post. Thanks for pointing it out.[p]I have a large and a small, both of which seem to get heavier each year as they (and Me) age. Perhaps I should have mentioned that phenomenon LOL[p]Spring "Takes A Lot Of Calories To Be Me" Chicken

• mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Spring Chicken,[p]Ha Ha, our eggs are gaining weight just like we are, they enjoy the cooking too![p]I'm not certain if it matters, I don't think a 50lb difference in calculating weight will cause an inferior table to be built, I would hope that it would be able to hold much more weight than an egg, maybe more eggs even!![p]I wish I could build a kitchen, but our house has been for sale for a year. If I built somthing now I would probably get an offer, that would be tough.
  • orion11
    orion11 Posts: 140
    mwhisnant,
    Good advice below. I have a large in my island and it worked out fine. Only thing I did wrong was to not allow enought clearance for the dome/hinge operation during opening. When mine opened with the hinge on correctly, the upper part of the hinge articulated such that it hit the backsplash on my island. Temp. fix was to install spring hinge upside down but later, traded Spring Chicken for an older, non-spring band and hinge. You can see the ventilation slot in the bottom of my island and it works great. I clean ash out with a shop vac and do not mind that at all. If you need any more details, feel free to ask or pm me.

DSC_0032.jpg[p]

DSCN0798.jpg[p]