Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey on a Large Egg

Options
T-Que
T-Que Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking to smoke a turkey this weekend as a Thanksgiving warm-up for a BUNCH of folks. Can anyone tell me how large (pounds?) a turkey will fit in a Large Egg? How about a Medium Egg? [p]Also, any good techniques?[p]Thx
TQ

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    T-Que,
    You can see one I did in 2003 in the cooks section of my website....with all of the details.[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    T-Que,
    I've egged a 24.5# bird before in my large. Only trick was to remove the spring on the dome thermometer so that I could pull the thermometer out enough so to not impale the bird nor bend the probe. Good luck!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • T-Que
    T-Que Posts: 44
    Options
    WessB,
    Great, thanks I will take a look and thanks for posting Wise Ones 2007 Eggtoberfest cookbook. I have already downloaded it.[p]T-Que[p]

• Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Options
    T-Que,[p]Mad Max has a good turkey technique that is pretty populer.[p]It is posted here on The Naked Whiz site:[p]
    [ul][li]http://nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm[/ul]
  • EggspertMN
    Options
    T-Que,
    I posted about a week ago of one I did while I was in a fowl mood while NOT being in Atlanta for Eggtoberfest. Have a look at the link below[p]I usually do 12-14 lb birds, but you can do a 20 lb but you have to be a little careful not to get the dome thermometer stuck in your bird. (if you do indirect cook, which btw, you should do) The BGE website has some turkey sizes posted too.

[ul][li]EggspertMN Turkey post[/ul]
  • wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    Options
    T-Que,
    The only way to do turkey is on the egg, yummy. Turkey absorbs smoke easily so don't over do it.[p]Cheers, Glenn

• RRP,[p]I stabilized my Small today, then popped in bread to bake. My temp dropped, and so I cranked 'er up a bit. There wasn;'t much response, so I opener things up a bit more.[p]When I peeped at the bread, it was nearly toast![p]The temp guage had penetrated the bread... or, more correctly, the baking bread had swollen to encompass the probe, and the temps seemed to drop...[p]Last time I make THAT mistake![p]~ B

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    T-Que,
    No problem with a 20 pound domestic bird. It becomes a challenge with the long legs of a range raised bird. I shot a Missouri wild turkey & discovered that the legs were to long for the large BGE. I took it to a commercial smoker to cook it.[p]I have ordered a 15 pound, range raised turkey from western Kansas. No chemicals or other additives & they are fed natural foods. A local market sells them here is Kansas City for about $5/lb.[p]Nothing like it.

• SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    T-Que,
    On the linked page.
    What size turkey fits in the egg. (chart)
    a few different turkey on egg recipes / cooking techniques.
    Mad Max method and others .
    All tested and get great.
    Enjoy and Happy Eggin.

[ul][li]Size turkey fits in Egg. [/ul]
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa.