Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket question

Shishkaknob
Shishkaknob Posts: 114
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I picked up two brisket points. Each weighs approximately 2 pounds.
I know that they'll cook a lot more quickly than the whole brisket but I was wondering how much more quickly if anyone has any experience cooking a couple of small points like these.
I plan on dusting them up with some steak rub and some turbinado sugar and then slowly smoking them at 250-275dome until they reach 195 or so. Indirect with an inverted plate setter and a drip pan.[p]I'll post some pictures when I start prepping them.[p]Cheers...and thanks in advance for your guidance.[p]John

Comments

• Shishkaknob,
    This is a post from just below you. AZ

[ul][li]Briskets[/ul]
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Shishkaknob,
    Are you sure they are points not flats? I can't find brisket points in any super market. The flat is normally used to smoke if you are not using the whole brisket. I don't have any experience with small points. Good luck, Tom

• Bajatom,[p]Yup. Points. They are labelled as points anyway.
    I'll post some pics.[p]John

• AZ Traveler,[p]Thanks much. I'll try that. I'd imagine that they'll take a bit less than the 7 hours as they are about half the size of the 4 pound flats described in that post.[p]Wish me luck.[p]John
  • Ronbo
    Ronbo Posts: 90
    Shishkaknob,
    Also forgot to mention I used a plate setter and 1 chunk of hickory and 1 chunk of mesquite

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC02873a.jpg
    <p />Shishkaknob,[p]Similar question to Bajatom's....are you sure they are not corned points? They are more common than fresh points, like the one above.[p]Back to the answer, plan on at least 5 or 6 hours, mmaybe longer if you are going to take them beyond the slicing range and into the burnt end range. Don't be intimidated by all the fat, it will render out. These slices are all point except for the 4th one from the front. Nice and moist.[p]DSC02853a.jpg[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Shishkaknob,[p] The flats have a lot more fat. I would keep the dome at about 230 for points. Specially if it's CDN beef. Maybe even inject.[p]Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    f934c3a3.jpg
    <p />Little Steven,[p]With all due respect, it's the other way around bro. Points are the fattier muscle of the two. In this picture, the point is on the right end. [p]I agree about injecting for moisture.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery