Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s time to kick back, relax and enjoy the aromas of fresh smoked meat as we sail towards summer. Not sure what to smoke? Try Down & Dizzy Pork Shoulder or Smoked Spanish Chicken. Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Favorite Frozen Pizza and Rib Question

Eager EggerEager Egger Posts: 236
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Really 2 separate questions. For a quick Pizza in the evening, what brand is preferred by the group and any special way of cooking it? Secondly, does anyone know where the original 3-1-1 recipe for Ribs is located?
Thanks
Mike

Comments

• FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    EagerEgger,[p]Here is how I do the 3-1-1. You didn't specify if you were using back ribs or spares. This method is for baby backs and is commonly known as the 3-1-1 method.[p]Prep your ribs by trimming, removing the membrane, then apply a light smearing of yellow mustard and then apply your favorite rub. I generally do this right as a light my fire. Some do this the night before. Light your fire and let it stabilize at 250*. Place the ribs on the grid bone side down (curve up) and cook indirect at 250 dome, which will be 220-230 grid temp, for 3 hours. No peeking, no turning. Then remove the ribs and wrap them in aluminum foil and spray with apple juice, beer, or some other liquid. Not a lot, just a few ounces. Seal the foil and put them back on the grid for another hour, still at 250.[p]After that hour, remove the ribs from the foil - there may be some steam when opening so be careful. Put them back on the grid and bump the temp to 275. Apply a layer of your favorite BBQ sauce on both sides and let go another 45-60 minutes. The bone ends will be exposed and the ribs should be super tender by the end of the 5th hour.[p]To ue this method with spare ribs, I adjust the cooking times to 3.5-1.5-1 for a total 6 hour cook. Everything else remains the same.[p]Sorry, I've never done a frozen pizza on the egg (yet).
  • DawgtiredDawgtired Posts: 213
    Fidel,
    The only thing I do different is apply the rub before the mustard. I think this gets more rub on the actual meat and the mustard holds it in. This makes rubbing the meat with the rub easier.

• EagerEgger, The California Pizza Kitchen on top of the place setter, tast like it just came out of the oven, plus great crunchy bottom

• Smok'in CSI, Not sure we get this brand in Texas, but I will sure check for it. Thanks for the info.

• Fidel, Thanks for the info. This is basically where I got to after starting with the 3-1-1 1/2 method from the Wise One's Cookbook. Although in that method there is plenty of peeking going on :-) The mustard is a new one on ribs and we are looking forward to giving it a try.
    Mike[p]

• UGAVETUGAVET Posts: 577
    EagerEgger,
    I like the freshetta extra thin pepperoni pizza with some extra things added. very good off the egg, nice and crispy

• JeevesJeeves Posts: 461
    EagerEgger,[p]I've seen them at HEB and WalMart. Of course, they are a little $ though...