Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite Frozen Pizza and Rib Question

Options
Eager Egger
Eager Egger Posts: 236
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Really 2 separate questions. For a quick Pizza in the evening, what brand is preferred by the group and any special way of cooking it? Secondly, does anyone know where the original 3-1-1 recipe for Ribs is located?
Thanks
Mike

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    EagerEgger,[p]Here is how I do the 3-1-1. You didn't specify if you were using back ribs or spares. This method is for baby backs and is commonly known as the 3-1-1 method.[p]Prep your ribs by trimming, removing the membrane, then apply a light smearing of yellow mustard and then apply your favorite rub. I generally do this right as a light my fire. Some do this the night before. Light your fire and let it stabilize at 250*. Place the ribs on the grid bone side down (curve up) and cook indirect at 250 dome, which will be 220-230 grid temp, for 3 hours. No peeking, no turning. Then remove the ribs and wrap them in aluminum foil and spray with apple juice, beer, or some other liquid. Not a lot, just a few ounces. Seal the foil and put them back on the grid for another hour, still at 250.[p]After that hour, remove the ribs from the foil - there may be some steam when opening so be careful. Put them back on the grid and bump the temp to 275. Apply a layer of your favorite BBQ sauce on both sides and let go another 45-60 minutes. The bone ends will be exposed and the ribs should be super tender by the end of the 5th hour.[p]To ue this method with spare ribs, I adjust the cooking times to 3.5-1.5-1 for a total 6 hour cook. Everything else remains the same.[p]Sorry, I've never done a frozen pizza on the egg (yet).
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Options
    Fidel,
    The only thing I do different is apply the rub before the mustard. I think this gets more rub on the actual meat and the mustard holds it in. This makes rubbing the meat with the rub easier.

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• Smok'inCSI
    Options
    EagerEgger, The California Pizza Kitchen on top of the place setter, tast like it just came out of the oven, plus great crunchy bottom

• Eager Egger
    Options
    Smok'in CSI, Not sure we get this brand in Texas, but I will sure check for it. Thanks for the info.

• Eager Egger
    Options
    Fidel, Thanks for the info. This is basically where I got to after starting with the 3-1-1 1/2 method from the Wise One's Cookbook. Although in that method there is plenty of peeking going on :-) The mustard is a new one on ribs and we are looking forward to giving it a try.
    Mike[p]

• UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    EagerEgger,
    I like the freshetta extra thin pepperoni pizza with some extra things added. very good off the egg, nice and crispy

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Options
    EagerEgger,[p]I've seen them at HEB and WalMart. Of course, they are a little $ though...