Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Off to a bad start on my first Boston Butt

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Before I even got home I think I made a bad decision. I had the butcher remove the bone thinking that was the way it was supposed to be cooked.

The weight before the bone extraction was 8.3 lbs. I still plan to try my first low and slow and intend to use the Naked Wiz method. Anyone think I’ll have a problem getting good results without a bone? Should I change the way I planned to cook it? Maybe I should go back to the butcher and see if I can retrieve the bone and stuff it back in there.<G>[p]Any ideas?

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Joe in Jersey,
    Truss it up if need be and cook away. I've done these and they come out fine using the same cooking method as if it had the bone.......

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Joe in Jersey,
    I can guarantee you, you're not going to get the bone back if you tell him what you are going to do with it. The bone has a better flavor but this will not be a disaster. Cook as you would a bone-in.
    I guess he tied it back up in some fashion or wrapped it in netting? If not, I don't know how bad it might fall apart and cook quicker.[p]Mike

• Essex County
    Options
    Joe in Jersey,
    Most of what I get in the grocery store is boneless. They work just fine. Have fun.
    Paul

• Car Wash Mike,[p]After reading your reply I unwrapped to to have a look and its not tied, but he did wrap the bone. So I'm off to get some string so I can tie that bone back in there. [p]Thanks for all the quick replies.[p]Wish me luck!

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Joe in Jersey,
    That is a bonus, you are off to a great start. This is like the bone-in prime rib. I always have them cut the bone off and rety.[p]Mike

• UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    Joe in Jersey,
    I have 4 boston butts on right now. I prefer bone in but you will fine especially tying it back in. Hard to screw up pulled pork. one of the most forgiving cooks you will do.

• Car Wash Mike,
    speaking of netting, does anyone know of a source of the elasticized netting that butchers use? sometimes it would be nice to have a roll of that to use instead of using multiple pieces of butcher twine to truss up a roast.

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Ken Baker,
    It has been along time ago. But the netting is cheap. The stuffer is what costs the money. You almost have to have the stuffer.
    Here is a link.
    Mike

[ul][li]Here you go.[/ul]
  • jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Options
    Joe in Jersey,
    Joe, put the meat on 250 dome inderect. Cook until internal hits 195, take off, wrap in foil, put in cooler to rest for hour, pull and eat.
    Boston butt is one of the easiest cooks. Just remember to fill the fire box all the way up. [p]MC Jerry