Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

In need of an AWESOME baked bean recipe

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We're headed to a neighborhood party soon involving 16 adults. At the spur of the moment I said we would bring an AWESOME pot of baked beans. Knowing my neighbors as I do then little or no smoke will be best and "pepper heat" is also out of the question. Now, PLEASE help me save my reputation with some AWESOME recipe!!! Thanks!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    RRP,[p]I have to say the hog apple baked beans are awesome. I take the pie filling and rough chop it to make the apple slices less noticeable. I also use a bit more bacon and onion and a little less green pepper than called for in the recipe.[p]You can leave out the peppery spices and cook it on the egg in a dutch oven with the lid on for minimal smoke.
  • Eggsessed
    Options
    RRP,
    I just made a batch for dinner. These were so simple, and some of the best I've ever made. I just took some Bush's Homestyle beans, a little frozen pulled pork (from last weekend), cooked in a cast skillet indirect at about 300 for 25-30 minutes. I realize that the pulled pork may be an issue, but if you have some on hand, it really enhances the beans. I didn't use any smoke or seasoning. I have a 9 month old, so I have to go easy on all of that stuff these days.

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Ron,
    I make these routinely using the peach filling and I get rave reviews every time (this was posted by thirdeye, I believe, some time ago) :[p]
    Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans[p]Ingredients:[p]3 or 4 slices bacon, diced
    2 (28 oz) cans pork and beans, mostly drained
    1/2 c. Blues Hog BBQ Sauce
    1 lb. smoked leftover smoked pork or beef, or 1 lb crumbled cooked pork sausage
    1 can apple (or peach) pie filling
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1/2 green pepper, chopped
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
    2 Tbsp. Mustard (prepared)
    1 tsp. chipotle or cayenne powder (optional, to taste*)
    1 Tbsp. barbecue rub [p]Cooking directions:[p]Brown bacon, and sauté onion and green pepper in bacon grease. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake at 325º for 1 hour, or simmer on stovetop in large pot for 30 minutes if you don't have time to do them in the oven. [p]*This is a rather spicy recipe due to the chipotle/cayenne powder. Feel free to leave it out if you'll be feeding those who prefer a less spicy taste.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC02345aaa.jpg
    <p />RRP,[p]Consider Keri C's recipe. It is now my standard BBQ bean dish for all backyard shindigs and a must for carry-in-to-work. This, coming from a "scratch" bean guy says a lot. They are so popular, I now print copies of the recipe in advance because so many folks ask for it.[p]~thirdeye~[p]Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans[p]3 or 4 slices bacon, diced
    2 (16 oz) cans pork and beans, mostly drained (modified to 2 28-oz cans Bush's Baked Beans - see note below)
    1/2 c. Blues Hog BBQ Sauce (or other sweet-spicy favorite)
    1 lb. smoked leftover smoked pork or beef, more or less, or 1 lb crumbled cooked pork sausage
    1 can apple pie filling
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1/2 green pepper, chopped
    1/2 c. brown sugar
    2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
    2 Tbsp. Mustard (prepared)
    1 tsp chipotle or cayenne powder (optional, to taste*)
    1 tsp Blues Hog barbecue rub (or your favorite de jour)[p]Brown bacon, and saute onion and green pepper in bacon grease. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake at 325º for 1 hour, or simmer on stovetop in large pot for 30 minutes if you don't have time to do them in the oven. Serves 12.[p]This recipe began life as APPLE PIE BAKED BEANS from somewhere on the web, but I think I've made enough changes to it now to claim it as my own. This is my standard for baked beans anymore.[p]*This is a rather spicy recipe due to the chipotle/cayenne powder. Feel free to leave it out if you'll be feeding those who prefer a less spicy taste.[p]Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time
    _____[p]Lately, I've been using two of the 28-oz cans of Bush's Original Baked Beans - I think I'm going to try it with the new Honey variety next. Happier with the results with these. -kc[p]Another update... Jack's Old South does something similar to this, but I understand that they use peach pie filling instead.[p]This message has been edited. Last edited by: Keri C, July 17, 2006 04:29 PM
    [p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    RRP,
    The fastest/ goodest one I can think of is where you fry up some bacon, then fry up some hamburger & whatever kind of sausage you like and some diced onions, then add 4-5 cans of different kinds of beans...black, kidney....etc. Then add like 3 big cans of Bush's baked beans - different varieties are good. Also a can or so of pork 'n beans. Squirt in some bbq sauce & some mustard to taste, then let the whole mess percolate on low for as long as you can let it.
    It almost seems homemade!! :)[p]I have no idea if that made sense, so good luck!! lol

• wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Yup that's the one, but put the apple pie filling in at the last minute. Too early and the apples will get tough.[p]Cheers, Glenn

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options

Here is a batch I did Sunday. They really are good. I see others have posted the recipe, which I should have done in the first post....[p]HogAppleBeans.jpg

• mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 780
    Options
    RRP,
    we use hamburger in the beans - i smoke it using red oak - gives the meat a hardy flavor - we also add a local bbq sauce, a bit warm - and of course the dark brown sugar - worcestershire sauce to taste and smoked country bacon
    mr toad

See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • thirdeye,
    that is the recipe right there! i use turkey for the meat

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    RRP,
    you do wild boar right!!![p]ok here is mine [p]3 cans bushes beans (which ever you like)
    1 small onion diced
    1 packet of preheated PP in foodsaver bag (how big is up to you)
    1 1/2 cup wild boar bbq sauce
    5 slices of bacon
    combine all except for last one pour into pyrex dish lay bacon over top cover with foil and bake at 350 indirect for 40 min remove foil for 25-35 min.[p]
    sorry best i got [p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• hiloboy
    hiloboy Posts: 75
    Options
    thirdeye,
    this is the ONE AND ONLY!! i looked for years for a good bean recipe.and then thirdeye gave me this one. all most every party we go to now.. they ask me to make the apple baked beans.

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    BENTE,[p]The only problem out here is there is any leftover PP after cooking. I keep cooking more and more every time - it all gets devoured.[p]Kent
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Grandpas Grub,
    COOK MORE!!!!!!!![p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    BENTE,[p]LOL... may have to get another egg.[p]Kent
  • Grandpas Grub,[p]Oh, yeah! 'Nuther Egg![p]
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    beans2.jpg
    <p />RRP,
    2 55oz. cans Bush Orginal drained.
    18 oz KC Masterpiece.
    1 Large chopped white onion.
    Pulled Pork/Smoked Ham/Burnt Ends you get the pic.
    Cover all that stuff with mustard
    A lot of brown sugar
    Throw some Grandma's molasses in there.
    Add other stuff you might like. Have fun with it.
    Smoke at 300 indirect until you get the consistency you want. I like stick to my ribs, or should I say with my ribs. LOL[p]Mike

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    RRP,[p]A little late, but these "Calico Beans" are really worth trying...[p]cid_E7B2A833E0B94F13A093DD5E2224-1.jpg[p]Makes 4 servings
    Serve with fresh bakery bread and a salad. An easy make-ahead.[p] 1/4 lb diced bacon
    1 lb ground beef
    1/2 cup Chopped onions
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1 sm can lima or baby lima beans
    1 can kidney beans
    1 large can pork and beans
    1/2 cup catsup
    1 tablespoon prepared mustard
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons molasses [p]Brown bacon, onion and ground beef. Mix all ingredients into a large 3 quart casserole and bake for 1-1/2 to 2 hours in a 300° oven/egg, (or) cook all day in a crockpot.

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Wrong...This would probably be more like 12 servings. Not sure where the 4 servings came from.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    2005004544.jpg
    <p />RRP,
    what do they expect from beans, up here we would NEVER try to fix beans from a can for a function, we make them from scratch. it takes a day of soaking and another for the cook. i make boston baked beans which may be too sweet for your crowd but goes over well here.

[ul][li]boston baked[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Another vote for this recipe- I made it with sparerib trimmings and it was awesome. [p]Dunno about timing of adding the apples but I'd chop the filling up a bit next time.[p]Big T

• Jester
    Jester Posts: 17
    Options
    RRP,[p]These are not baked but really good and easy. Great if you are in a hurry but is dependent on having pulled pork on hand. [p]Take a large can of Bushs original beans and ladle out 1/2 cup of the juice. Replace the juice with Blues Hog Sauce and stir to combine. Add an appropriate amount of cold pulled pork. Heat and let rest to combine the flavors. [p]Odis [p]add an appropriate amount of pulled pork.
  • DonDon
    DonDon Posts: 89
    Options
    RRP,
    I've eaten alot of beans over the years but these are the best I've ever eaten. I've had people tell me they should have their own food group for these. LOL They're actually my sister-in-laws that passed away a few years ago with a few additions from me.
    Don-Don’s Baked Beans
    Ingredients:
    I Gallon size pork and Beans (I use Camps)
    1 1/2 cups chopped onion
    ½ cup diced dill pickles
    1 tblespn garlic powder
    ½ tblespn onion powder
    salt to taste
    pepper to taste
    ½ teaspn red pepper
    ½ tblespn yellow mustard
    2 tblespns ketchup
    2 tblespns favorite BBQ sauce
    1 ½ lbs hamburger meat ( smoked pulled pork is awesome here as well)
    6-8 slices bacon
    Preparation:
    Cook hamburger meat, onions and pickles til meat is browned then add all ingredients into large cooking vessel. Cover mix with bacon slices and bake at 350 til bacon on top almost falls apart, bout 45 minutes to an hour

• Smokin Gator
    Options
    Keri's recipe is the bomb!!! It is the only one I use anymore.[p]If you have tried it give the peach pie filling a try. I love it but whenever I do it people ask for the apple beans!!!
  • Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    Options
    Are these good baked beans or are they more like baked apples in taste? I don't want my beans to taste like a dessert. But I think I'm gonna give it a try.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Tractor,[p]This style of BBQ beans usually depends on either brown sugar or molasses, or sometimes both, for the sweetness. Using the apple or peach filling is just a really unique way to deliver some sweet and give a neat back flavor too.[p]I also make Danny Gauldens recipe, they are a more traditional style...still using canned beans.[p]They are both winners. Heck, if in doubt.....try a small batch of each. [p]~thirdeye~[p]
    Danny Gaulden's Baked Beans

2 cans B&M or Bush's "baked beans"
    8 slices Hickory Smoked Bacon
    1 small onion -- chopped
    1 small red bell pepper -- chopped
    1 small green bell pepper -- chopped
    5 tablespoons BBQ Sauce
    3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
    ___OR___
    5 tablespoons molasses
    2 tablespoons mustard [p]I'm sure we all have a load of "good bean" recipes, but Carolyn and I have developed this one over the years, and really like it with good Q. It is "Chef Friendly", and takes less than an hour to prepare. Out here it's pinto, pinto, pinto for beans, and I like' em. But every once in a while that old South comes out in me, and I want oven baked beans. Here goes.... Drain 2 cans of B&M, or Bush's "baked beans" (Campbell pork & beans will work in a pinch). Drain 75% or more of liquid from beans and discard. Pour beans into baking dish (no lid required). In a skillet, fry 4 thick slices of HICKORY smoked bacon well done, pat dry, and place in freezer so that it becomes brittle while preparing other ingredients. Now fry 4 more slices of bacon till medium done, and set aside. Drain all but 2 or 3 tablespoons of bacon grease out of skillet and save for other recipes. Saute 1 small onion, 1 small green, and 1 small red (if avaliable) bell pepper for 3 or 4 minutes in hot bacon grease. Pour sauteed onions, peppers, and bacon grease into beans. In a cup, mix 2 tablespoons of mustard, 4 or 5 tablespoons of your favorite BBQ sauce, 3 tablespoons of dark brown sugar, or 5 tablespoons of molasses, and pour into beans. Crumble or dice with a good chef's knife the cold bacon, and stir into beans. Place medium done bacon slices on top of beans and bake in oven at350 degrees for about 45 minutes, or in pit till thick and rich. Hope you guys and gals like this as well as we do.
    [p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery