Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork Questions

Options
Eager Egger
Eager Egger Posts: 236
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am doing my first Pork Butt this weekend for the family. Just need some advice. For the cut of meat, is it a Pork Butt, Pork Shoulder, Boston Butt or what! Not sure what to ask for. I have 2 recipes I am looking at and wonder which would be the best for my first shot at this? The first one is from the BGE Recipe site, very simple and straight forward. The second is Elder Ward's North Carolina style Pull Pork, more complex but sounds really good. The last consideration/question is whether to inject it or not and would appreciate some opinions here.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    EagerEgger,[p]Boston Butt, Pork Butt, Pork Shoulder are all the same.[p]Go with Elder Ward's.. [p]Injection is opinionated. Sometimes I inject sometimes I don't. When I do inject I do so while the meat is in the Plateau. I use the same NC vinegar based BBQ sauce I am going to eat it with. [p]All the collagen and fat are breaking down and flowing out of the meat at this time. It drags the injection with it.[p]Some folks will tell you inject before you start cooking and let it sit in the frig for awhile. Other will tell you to skip the injection. Try them all and you decide.[p]
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    EagerEgger,
    Pork Butts and Boston Butts are close to the same. Sometimes a Boston Butt has had a few pork steaks cut off it. Shoulder's usually include the skin. Depends on what part of the country you are in. Try to get whole butts. 7-8lbers.[p]Mike

• BlueRidge
    Options
    EagerEgger,
    I have done 3 butt cooks now. The first was using Elder Ward's method and I have been afraid to try anything else since. FANTASTIC. For a neophyte like me to pull off something so darn good was amazing to me. Try the slaw and hush puppy recipes too...you cann't go wrong!
    Jay

• mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Options
    EagerEgger,[p]Whatever I'm cooking, thirdeye's site is the first I check for information, Playing With Fire and Smoke. My butts have gotten better each time.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    EagerEgger,
    Around here (Charlotte), the Boston Butt is the upper part of the shoulder area of the pig, and can be found everywhere as a single cut. The Picnic is the lower part, and it usually comes with the skin on it. If purchased together, they refer to it as the whole shoulder. The Boston Butt is probably the most popular for eggers. I understand it comes with or without a bone. I only find the bone-in version at my usual sources. [p]It's one of the most forgiving cooks you'll find. I've made some real dumb mistakes on my first ones, and they came out really delicious anyway.[p]Happy Egging