Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Wings?

Options
Tim Fowler
Tim Fowler Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wife just called. Apparently I'm cooking chicken wings for
the first time tonight. I checked a few recipes and gotten
(of course) 3 different cooking temps and times.
One 250 direct heat turning every 10 min.
One 300 turning until done, and one 350 indirect
turning every 10 min. [p]What method do y'all use? I like tender meat with slightly crispy skin. No rubber chickens please :)[p]Thanks,
Tim

Comments

• amini1
    amini1 Posts: 105
    Options
    Tim Fowler,[p]I would do 350-375 raised grid direct or 400 indirect not raised. Direct will give you a nice char, just be sure to pay attention to turning them. You can also do lower temps, indirect if you want to smoke them and finish direct at 400 degrees to crisp. It should take 16-20 minutes.[p]I also highly recommend brining them for about 1 hour.
  • Tim Fowler,[p]Check out Dizzy Pig website. Used that recipe several times. They come out pretty good. Or if you want to do direct set temp about 325-350, placing wings on raised grate (cuts down on flare ups) turning wings occasionally for even cooking.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Tim Fowler,
    im partial to the lower temps raised grill 250 to 275. i cook til crispy sacraficing tender chicken, for me, they need to be crispy.its takes an hour and a half to 2 hours at those temps to get what i want. meat internals are probably up near 200 when they are done to my liking.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    100_1625.jpg
    <p />also if you go the low and slow route, flip them maybe twice, not every 10 minutes, this is what i like for spice on them[p]100_1621.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Tim Fowler,
    I do them in a wing rack at 350 raised grid direct. I take them to 200 internal temp and they are very much like fried ones. -RP

• The dizzy pig 'almost fried' recipe is pretty good. The prep and cook take a while though.[p]Listen to them when they say not to try to apply too much of the breading - just what sticks readily to the egg-washed chicken is plenty.[p]I basted some with bbq sauce shortly before they were done, and also tossed some in buffalo sauce after they came off the egg - both very tasty!
  • Tim Fowler
    Options
    Thanks guys and or gals!
    Wish me luck.

• Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Options
    I like to coat them with some oil and rub of choice then rest overnight in the fridge.[p]Smoke indirect at about 220 dome for three or four hours.[p]Pull them off and imeditely coat them with sauce (in a large stainless bowl or ziplock bag.) Let them rest a while and gell with the sauce as they cool off a bit.[p]Then fire up the grill direct to 500 to 600 and throw the wings on just long enough to char a little and carmelize the sauce.[p]Serve them as is, or brush on some more sauce if you like them a little messy.[p]You can smoke them ahead of time, keep them in the fridge, and then grill a big batch quickly when ready to serve for a party or a game snack.[p]The low-n-slo seems to burn off the fat, yet they stay nice and moist inside with a crispy outside after the hi temp direct finish.[p]I did thirty pounds of them saturday at the fest and they went faster than we could get them on a plate.
  • billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    fishlessman,
    i rubbed a brined turkey breast with lysanders poultry mix
    [decided to try it after i saw it on one of your? posts a few weeks back] wrapped in plastic wrap for an hour and did at 325 indirect raised . wow.