Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about egging in a wind!

Options
EGGTASTIC
EGGTASTIC Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have used my egg for overnight cooks without a problem. I just put on a 9 lb butt. It is VERY windy today! Will this use more lump? Do I need to check it more often? If the wind slows when night hits, will I need to adjust the vents? Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    EGGTASTIC!,[p]I have coked overnight cooks for 9 years with the egg and have never had a problem with wind affecting temperature. The fact that an overnight cook has such small openings for temperature control that it would take a very heavy wind to make temperature control touchy.[p]Position the egg so the wind doesn't go directly into the bottom vent, as this is the most important consideration. It will use a bit more lump as the egg will tend to cool faster in the wind. Check as often as you need to do to be comfortable. If the wind slows, the temperature will trmain very close to the same. No adjustment has ever been necessary for me.[p]Best of luck and enjoy the the PP.[p]Spin[p]
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    EGGTASTIC!,
    If the winds are over 8 to 12 mph position the egg so the bottom vent is leeward from the wind.I run into this a lot being near the ocean breezes when doing a long cook.Check your weather station and find out what the pattern will be through the night.If you gotta get up.you will have to do so.Normally this is not to big of a problem unless you have winds that are of small craft warnings in size.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    11800aaa.jpg
    <p />EGGTASTIC!, [p]I'm not sure I know how to cook if the wind is NOT blowing at least 30 mph. Like these guys mentioned, positioning of the Egg with the lower vent in mind is the key. Once everything is settled down, the lower vent is not open very much anyway. I also watch the smoke draw on the top vent, turning the Egg as needed.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Man I just had to ask the question.Where is the wind sock scale for a pot of baked beans?

• EGGTASTIC
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]I hope that chain is welded that way! Thanks for the input! So far so good!

• EGGTASTIC
    Options
    Darnoc,[p]Thanks for the input! This is just another reason to buy one!

• EGGTASTIC
    Options
    Spin,[p]This is truly some good news! I get up every two hours for my overnight cooks and I didn't want to do it more often! Thanks![p]