Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CHICKEN WING RECIPE

Options
Okeejohn
Okeejohn Posts: 297
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife wants wings tonight and I have no clue for a recipe. Any ideas?[p]John

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Okeejohn,
    these are TERRIFIC!!!

[ul][li]Georgia Red Wings from Wise One[/ul]
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Okeejohn,[p]Here is a recipe from a long time forum member Cat. It is a overnight marinade or 1 hour under foodsaver vacuum. We enjoy this one a lot.[p]1/2 cups cider vinegar
    1 tb vegetable oil
    1 tb worcestershire sauce
    1 tb chili powder
    1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
    1/2 tsp kosher salt
    1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
    1/2 tbs tabasco sauce
    8 ea whole chicken wings, tips and wing skin flap removed [p]Remove the tips and cook the wings whole for 4 hours at 250 degrees. You have half the wings to flip and when done, they will easily pull apart by hand.[p]Spin

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    <a href=
    <p />Okeejohn, Using a rack really helps a lot. Notice the wings were already disappearing while I was doing photography!

• Rascal
    Options
    <a href=
    <p />I dunno what's happening... The picture showed on the "preview".
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Okeejohn,[p]I do a simple method. I toss the wings in EVOO, then a good dusting with DP Jamaican Firewalk. Any rub with a bit of heat will do.[p]I cook indirect on a raised grid at 350 for about an hour. I then pull the wings into a large mixing bowl and toss with my favorite hot sauce. You can also use teriyaki. After the toss I put them back on the grid for about 10 more minutes to set the sauce. Sometimes I toss in sauce one more time.[p]If you are't into heat, then use a generous dusting of lemon pepper and toss them in a little melted butter then put them back on the grid to get them crispy.[p]P9010006.jpg
  • Pace Yourself
    Options
    Okeejohn,[p]You can't go wrong with the crunch wing recipe at the Dizzy Pig site. We are 3 for 3 with these.[p]Cheers

• Suck Creek Wings
    Options
    Okeejohn,[p]A simple and cheap one is take a sauce like Texas Pete, Crystal, whatever you like and is handy, melt some butter into it, pepper it to taste, and toss your wings in it. [p]Also, I always grill wings until they are virtually done and then drop them in a fryer for about 60 seconds to crisp them up. [p]SCW
  • Rascal
    Options
    Here it is....
    ChickW1.jpg

• Pace Yourself
    Options
    I tend to agree with Rascal. I picked up a couple of those racks at Menards for $1.50 each and used them last weekend. All I did was trim the wings (leave the tips for the rack...) toss them in olive oil then tossed them with one of my favorite spice mixes - use whatever one you like. Next I hung them on the racks and cooked them direct with a dome around 250 and a few apple chucks until they were about 180 and crispy and happy.[p]Eat as is or hit them with a little sauce. We were using DP Swamp Venom on half and DP Dizzy Dust on half and didn't use any sauce. They lasted about 10 minutes and the kids (who are still more about chicken nuggets....) raved...[p]If you don't have the hanging racks, I would use a grate as elevated as you can and keep the temp at 250 or less.[p]Good luck!

• grEGGor
    grEGGor Posts: 109
    Options
    Fidel,[p]We hadn't try wings before tonight - followed your basic steps and they were fantastic![p]grEGGor[p]IMG_9712.jpg
    IMG_9714.jpg

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    grEGGor,[p]Glad to hear you enjoyed them.[p]I do a batch nearly every Saturday or Sunday during football season. I use the Original Anchor Bar hot sauce and stuff my gut, but always want more.[p]
  • Mayberry Smoker
    Options
    RRP,
    Thanks, I made this recipe once and they were great, but I had lost the recipe and didn't know who posted it.

• Okeejohn,My wife loves chicken wings and she likes them crispy. I dredge mine in Dizzy Pig Dust, put them on direct heat at 250 degrees for 2 1/2 hours. They come out super crisp (a few cremated, but not many) and they are tasty. As you can see there are quite a few answers to your query.