Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ping trex cooking on the mini

Options
citychicken
citychicken Posts: 484
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i just received my new mini egg and have a few questions about the t-rex method for steaks. in addition to my mini, i have two large eggs.[p]it would appear that the only difference between the small, medium, and large eggs would be the size variances and the amount of food that each would accommodate. conversely when it comes to the mini and xl, from what i read here, it would appear that there are nuances unique to the mini and the xl in terms of cooking techniques because of the design and shapes of the mini and xl. now even though i have read of eggers rolling a rack of baby backs and cookin' them on the mini, i think that the mini really is a grilling machine.[p]ok... so i like my steaks rare, actually quite rare. if i were to prepare these on my mini egg using the t-rex method should i shorten the sear time or should i skip the "roast/dwell" period. of course, on the mini the steaks will be dang near right on the coals so i am worried that a 90 second sear on each side followed by a long rest and a roast period might make the steak more well-done than i would like. additionally if i were to skip over the "roast period", is it then still a t-rex steak?[p]any thoughts that you all might have regarding cooking on the mini verses the other eggs would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    markkal123,[p]Depends on the thickness of your steak and what internal temperature your "quite rare" translates to. For a 2" steak, a 90 second sear on each side on the Mini followed by a 20 minute rest and then a roast at 400 for 5.5 minutes a side will give a medium-rare steak, most of the time (there are other variables, like starting temp, amount of radiant vs. ocnvective heat, etc.). I hope this helps as a starting point - it's just hard to give absolute answers without knowing the specifics of your cook.[p]TRex
  • BlueRidge
    Options
    TRex,
    Do you have a ball park figure for internal temps and "doneness" ie rare, med-rare, med?

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    BlueRidge,[p]In my opinion, the lines are blurry, because everyone defines those terms differently. For me, though, I consider "rare" to be below 125, medium-rare to be between 125 and 145 (I shoot for the lower end of this range with leaner beef, the middle to upper-middle of this range with more fatty beef, and the upper end with pork loin or tenderloin or lamb), and medium to be above 145, but I don't really have a high-end cut-off for medium because I don't typically cook anything (except poultry) above an internal of 145.[p]This may or may not be helpful. You can find "doneness charts" online and some other folks will chime in, but again, you really have to calibrate to your own liking.[p]Cheers,[p]TRex
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    TRex,[p]My brother, Farlsworth, just got a mini. I'll ask him to post his experiences within this thread, and any differences he found between TRexing on his medium and his new mini. He loves his new mini, by the way.