Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt-Therm placement?

Options
Jason
Jason Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Does anyone have any pics of correct thermometer placement on a bone in boston butt? The first one I cooked I think I was too close to the bone - woke up in the am with a meat temp reading of over 300 degrees - checked it with a fork style thermometer and got 180 degrees.[p]Thanks in advance.[p]Jason

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Jason,
    not sure if it was right butt worked for me
    DSCN0336.jpg
    this one here might be better
    DSCN0084.jpg[p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    41bd29d7.jpg
    <p />Jason,[p]You are right, a bone or fat pocket will throw off your thermometer reading. This picture is of some steaks I cut from a butt, so is shows the relationship of the blade or "Y" bone and all of the muscles. The bone side of the butt is a good reference and if you cook them fat side down, the bone will be nearest the grate.[p]I try to shoot for that larger, egg shaped muscle just to the right from dead center in the picture, sticking halfway between the bone and the fat cap. Make sure your probe is in a good 2" at least. [p]Of course, the bone is an excellent thermometer on it's own. When you can wiggle it and it will slip free and clean, your butt is ready.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery