Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How big a butt can an Egg handle??

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am very excited to announce that I am picking up my brand new egg on Saturday morning. I am celebrating my purchase by smoking a pork butt this weekend. My problem is that every recipe I see for pulled pork recommends a 6-9 pound butt and I have somehow acquired a monster 15 pounder. Can my Large Egg handle it? How should I tweak the cooking time, temperature etc? Thank you for guidance.

Comments

• eggfoot
    eggfoot Posts: 138
    Options
    RookiEggHead, That will be no problem! Its going to take 14 plus hours (my guess) at 250 dome temp. Good luck.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    RookiEggHead,
    I have to have a pic of a rear end that big. Where did you get it?[p]Mike

• mariosfirstbutts-004.jpg
    <p />RookiEggHead,
    i bet you a dollar that is two butts in the cryovac...[p]here's 4 butts... somewhere around 28 pounds in a large

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    RookiEggHead,[p]I have medium Eggs. The biggest butt I've done was 10.5 lbs. There was nearly enough room for another that size. So, you will have plenty of room with a large Egg. The standard time for a butt is 1.5 - 2 hours per pound. So a 15 pounder, well, do the math, but prob'ly awhile.[p]250 dome temperature is standard. Perhaps someone who has done a butt that big will comment on the right temperature. I'd guess a little hotter might be good so the deep interior can get up to cooking temperature in a safe amount of time.[p]Load the Egg up with lump almost to the top of the fire ring so there will be enough for a possible 30 hour cook. Have a metal rod around to stick into the coals after 12 hours, and wiggle it to flush the ash off the lump.[p]Do a google on "Naked Whiz," "Playing with Fire and Smoke" and "WessB" for links to sites with most useful Egg techniques.[p]gdenby[p]

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    I'll take some of that bet too! Sam's club must have had an issue with people thinking they were one big chunk of meat because they are packaging them now with fat side up on one and down on the other. Makes it more obvious that there are two separate roasts in the cryo. -RP

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    AZRP,
    That is why I wanted a pic. My thought was a 2 pack from Sammies.[p]Mike

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    shoulder2.jpg
    <p />AZRP,[p]Put me down for a buck of that action too. I'm jealous of my buddies that can still find a whole shoulder (like RockyR, who took this picture). They are my one of my favorites.[p]But if that is what you have, a #16 one will just fill up a large Egg. Post some pictures, we love 'em.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • AZRP
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Man that looks good. I used to be able to buy fresh shoulders, but they won't sell them retail anymore. A couple weeks ago I cooked a butt and a pic-nic just to simulate a shoulder. -RP

• RookiEggHead,[p]Congrats on the purchase! I used to watch this website before I had an egg. I thought these people were a little nuts based on the way everyone seemed so crazy about the egg. I thought they were all brainwashed. I got to say that now I have spent a summer with one, it all makes perfect sense. The egg is truly one of my best purchases I have made. You will love it! [p]A butt is a good one to start with. Hopefully you have purchased a plate setter to use with your butt. No problem handling that size on your large BGE. Word of caution if using wood chips for smoke flavor. Don't use too much. I over smoked a few choice cuts when I first started because I went over board on the quantity.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    AZRP,[p]Of all places ..... a guy at Safeway (we only have 5 grocery stores to choose from) is checking on ordering one for me. They have switched their market format to something that mirrors Whole Foods, and I hope it catches on. [p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • AZRP
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Good luck I ordered two whole shoulders from a butcher shop for a party, and when I went to pick them up it was two pic-nics. -RP

• DonDon
    DonDon Posts: 89
    Options
    RookiEggHead,
    bbq2.jpg
    Before
    bbq3.jpg
    DURING
    bbq4.jpg
    AND AFTER THEY COME OFF
    bbq5.jpg
    MANNN, that was some good eatin'!!!
    Gonna take awhile though so be ready for anywhere from 12-19 hours.
    Know when I did these 3 that 1 came off after like 15 or `6 hours and the other 2 went for 19 hours at 225 so good luck