Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How 'bout some sides to go with that turkey

Options
sdbelt
sdbelt Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I thought it would be interesting to see what others typically make to go with their turkeys on Thanksgiving. I'll provide my list and "recipes". For the most part I like things simple...this collection is really hard to mess up.[p] o Brined turkey - I think we've seen enough of how to do this recently.
o Twice baked potatoes (or stuffed potatoes as we call them) - First bake your potatoes. For best results do at a little higher heat than normal. You definitely want them fully baked, with a crispy skin. Cut an opening in the skin and scoop the potato from the skin into the mixer. (Lazy method is to slice in half, lengthwise - also doubles the number of servings.) Mash the potatoes with your normal mashed potato method, but add some mustard in as well. Put mashed potatoes back in the skins and then broil until the mashed potatoes have browned.
o Waldorf salad - 1 part apple, 1 part celery, 1/2 part chopped walnuts, 1/2 part raisins, whipped cream. I really like tart green apples (for taste), but a red apple looks better.
o Veal and links - (We often just use round steak in lieu of veal). Start by making chicken fried steak from the meat. Don't worry about much spice at this point, but certainly add salt and pepper. After completing this step, put sausage links, cooked meat, and cut carrot in slow cooker, until the carrots are cooked. The sausage flavors everything, and this is wonderful. I believe this is an old German recipe, and at our house it is always the first "side dish" that's gone. Why I don't make this more often I'll never know.
o Layered rolls - I don't know why, but we really love those flaky layered rolls. Grands makes them, and their easy.
o Pie - I love pretty much any pie made. I never bake any at home, but my favorite is Marie Calendar's Strawberry-Rubarb pie. Of course pumpkin, chocolate, and apple are good too.[p]So there we have it. I'd be curious to know what extra's will be making it to your table this Thanksgiving as well.[p]--sdb

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Hi, sd. Try the jalapeno corn casserole from the recipe page. It is always a hit at large gatherings and it's easy to throw together! You can adjust the heat to your liking, too. Have a great Turkey day!
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    sdbelt,
    Here's what else will be on the table:
    Sweet potatoes
    Mashed potatoes
    Green Bean Casserole
    Dirty Rice
    Oyster Dressing
    Creamed peas
    and the new item...Roasted Corn Grits[p]Happy Turkey Day to all!