Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reheating Pulled Pork

Options
Stretch
Stretch Posts: 18
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm taking some to work tomorrow and my only option is a microwave. I've seen some stuff about the best way to reheat without drying out, but what about if a microwave is the only option?

Comments

• dblR
    dblR Posts: 75
    Options
    Stretch,[p]I recommend heating it in the plastic storage bag that you stored it in. Open it about one third and lay flat. I heat gradually and use short times. Start out on thaw as I just want to bring up slow. I move pork around some in between the 20 second heats. I heat in the bag to save as much moisture from the meat as possible. I guess you can always then add your sauce to you meat after you heat it up. I like my pork too much to add sauce(OOOH LOVE THAT SMOKE). Some have posted about adding Coca-Cola to the meat but I have never tried it that way. Hope this helps.[p]Yours in smoke,[p]dblR
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,908
    Options
    Stretch,
    how much are you taking? If it is 2 to 4 pounds I can help you but you'll need to take a crockpot with you since a microwave won't get it. OTOH if you just mean 3 or 4 sandwiches worth I can't help.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Stretch
    Options
    RRP,[p]It's probably enough for about 8 people (4 pounds?). It's not frozen now - just in a tupperware container in the fridge. I just get worried that I'm going to dry it out and since this is my first butt (and hence their first time trying it), I want to impress!! Thanks for the help.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Stretch,[p]Just microwave it. It's just the wife and I and she won't let herself eat much pork, so I have to sacriface and be the one who eats all this stuff I cook. I do it all the time. It's never as good as the day it comes off the Egg, but it's always fantastic.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Stretch,[p]I often use a microwave but only on relatively low power and for smaller quantities. I wrap it in plastic wrap or in a baggie to hold in the moisture and heat it slowly to avoid re-cooking it.
  • RRP
    Options
    Stretch,
    OK - then in that case grab your crock pot and a 12oz can of regular Coca-Cola - pepsi WILL NOT WORK! -it has to be Coca-Cola and NO diet Coke, nor flavored Coke - it has to be the original stuff! Assuming you can keep the p/p cold after you get to work place it in the crock pot at least 2 hours before serving time and then pour in the can of Coke and stir it around well. - DON'T LET ANYBODY SEE YOU DO THIS AND THEN HIDE THE CAN AND NEVER TELL the people - as it freaks them out! I MEAN THAT! Heat on high for an hour and stir from time to time - then let it rest at low heat for another hour - stirring a time or two as well. Serve with BBQ sauces on the side or as is. Sit back and let the accolades roll in about your being a pit-master etc - but remember DON'T tell them about the Coke!

• Stretch
    Options
    RRP,[p]That has to be one of the craziest ideas I've ever seen! But I'm guessing by the emphasis on certain things that it works, so I'll give it a try. Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it goes.
    We're in atlanta so no worries about using Pepsi instead of Coke.

• RRP
    Options
    Stretch,
    don't know about it being crazy, but it's an old trick that has been in use for years in the restaurant business. BTW it also works with warming pulled beef and is particularly effective since beef takes on that skunky taste when warmed up, but not when Coke is used. Good luck today and please report back!