Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Proper way to prepare rice?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A short time back that was a text posted by someone on a good way to prepare plain rice, I misplaced it, would like to see this posted again, for some reason when I or my wife cooks rice it tends to stick together and just not taste goo, tahnks and Roll Tide.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    bamadad,
    I was that poster asking the best method. I received several responses, but the one that has worked well for me ever since is to follow the directions on the rice as for quantity which normally is 1 part rice to 2 parts water but differ from there. Put the water in the pan and bring it to a boil - THEN add the rice and let it come back to a boil again and then turn to simmer and cover for 20 minutes. Just fluff as you remove it and it will be good! Works for me!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    bamadad,[p]If you have problem with sticking, be sure to rinse your grains once or twice before boiling. This will remove more of the external starches that cause the sticking.[p]We do a lot of rice dishes. We bought a rice cooker years ago and it is absolutely foolproof.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    bamadad,
    I soak mine for about an hour changing the water several times until its clear, then drain. Cook 1 cup of rice to 1 3/4 cup water, bring to a boil in a saucepan, cover and turn heat to low for 20 minutes. -RP

• Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    Options
    bamadad,
    A co-worker pointed me towards this method and I really liked how the rice came out. For years I had never been happy with my rice. For an interesting cook try the dog bowl rice.[p]Dog bowl rice
    Ingredients:
    Ÿ 1 cup rice
    Ÿ 2½ cup hot water
    Ÿ 1 TBS butter or olive oil
    Ÿ 1 Boullion cube (beef or chicken depending of the main dish)
    Ÿ Herbs and vegetables of choice
    Directions:
    I use a stainless steel dog bowl to make rice in the BGE and think it’s much better than on the stovetop.
    Ÿ Cover the top with foil and cook at 300 degrees for 30-45 min.
    Ÿ Above is the base recipe and you can use any variation you like. My favorites are Sliced tomato
    with basil one chicken boullion cube and pepper to taste. Another is to add broccoli with thyme.
    Portobello mushrooms are good. Carrots are great also.[p]This is in wise one's cookbook collection.

[ul][li]rice recipe[/ul]
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    bamadad,[p]In doing some research on this subject for an upcoming article I'm writing, I have some information on Alton Brown's rice theory. It's kind of long winded, like me. But here goes....[p]One more thing, I buy a lot of special and imported rice, oftentimes they will have specific instructions for their product, so read that sack or bag. [p]RICE COOKING TIMES – ALTON BROWN[p]1 cup of rice – 1 ½ cups water
    2 cups of rice – 2 ¾ cups of water
    3 cups of rice – 3 ½ cups of water[p]Add water & rice to pot, add salt & canola oil, bring to a boil then cover and simmer for 10 minutes then rest.[p]According to Alton Brown, cookbook author and host of the Food Network show "Good Eats," the ratio of water to rice most home cooks use is wrong. [p]"The instructions on your average bag of rice always say the same thing: '1 cup rice, 2 cups water.' If that were right, and I don't think it is, one could deduce that a 2 to 1 water/rice ratio would always be the way to go, no matter how much rice was involved," Brown has said on the show. "Well, it isn't that way. Not only are 2 cups of water more than any respectable cup of long grain rice needs, but the proportion of water to rice actually goes down the more rice you cook." [p]For one cup of rice, Brown recommends one and a half cups of water, for two cups of rice two and three quarters cups of water and for three cups of rice, three and a half cups water. [p]According to Brown, seasoning is of the utmost importance to rice. "Rice, like any starch, has got to be cooked with salt or it won't matter how much you add later, it will never taste right," Brown said. This means the water must be salted to taste before cooking the rice. [p]Oil is another common ingredient in making rice. Adding canola, vegetable or peanut oil -- not anything with a strong taste -- can help the rice grains from sticking together. [p]Heating instructions for steamed rice vary slightly, but most resemble those on Nishiki brand rice: "Bring to a soft boil; reduce heat to low and simmer covered, for 20 minutes...remove from heat; let stand, covered, 10 minutes." No stirring or even opening the pot is required. [p]In fact, rather than stirring rice, which mashes the grains together, Brown advises fluffing at the end of the process. This means gingerly pushing the tongs of a fork to the bottom of the rice and carefully pulling the fork up. This turns the rice over and adds air to the mixture, which makes it even fluffier. [p]With regard to fluffing, Brown advises, "The starch is a little unstable. Stirring could turn the whole thing into a gummy mess. So, turn it out onto a large platter. Just let the grains fall where they want to go. Now, you may fluff the rice." [p]So the next time a stray bag of rice is the only way to satisfy your hunger pangs, don't end up with a burned, sticky mass. Follow Chef Brown's instructions to a fluffy, separated, pillowy, delectable, well-seasoned, perfectly textured pot of rice.
    [p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    bamadad,[p]Someone gave me a small rice cooker about 6 months back. I think it cost them $10-15. I'm generally against single function devices, following the advice of Alton Brown et al. But I do think you can steam veggies or something with this thing, too.[p]Nevertheless, it makes pretty good rice and takes zero effort. So if you have $10 and a few inches of counter space, this may be an option.[p]Heeee,
    Cornfed

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    bamadad, 2:1 (water to rice) sticks in my mind (NPI). Ever try wild rice? That's some gooooood stuff but does take a little longer to cook. "Canoe" is the brand I buy and usually get 6 oz. containers. It also makes for the start of great side dishes with the addition of pork, shrimp, veggies, you name it. Believe it or not, it's the state grain of Minnesota where much of our domestic variety originates. With reference to another post, I received a "rice cooker" (electric) many moons ago and never tried it. Anyone who's used one... do they really work and are they worth the effort? I'm all primed to do as little damage as possible (with as much heat as possible) to a few, boneless rib eyes. The grand finale will be igniting the JD while hoping that I don't slobber with excitement all over my apron! Happy Sunday and I hope your team wins![p]Rascal

• Fidel,
    you said you rinse the rice a couple of times before cooking. do you let it soak before either of the rinsings?[p]

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Ken Baker,[p]I don't, but like I said, we use a rice cooker. We just rinse in a bowl for a few seconds until the rinse water is clear, then put the measured amounts of rice and water into the cooker, lock the lid and hit the "go" button.[p]Pretty easy for perfect rice every time.
  • jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Options
    bamadad,
    Here is fool proof way to cook rice.
    Double the amount of water as rice. Add salt to taste to water. Bring water to boil. When water boils, add rice. Continue to allow water and rice to boil for a minute. Turn off heat, cover pot, remove from heat and 30 minutes from time of turning off and covering, the rice is done. Do not take lid off pot during the 30 minute period. Works every time with no sticking. NOTE: When cooking rice, all you are doing is allowing water to soak into the rice and or re-hydrating. [p]MC Jerry

• newegglander
    Options
    bamadad,
    Put some rice in a sauce pan. Fill it with water until the water covers the rice to the level of the first joint on you index finger (just touching the top of the rice in the pan).[p]This was how my mother taught me to make rice and it works every time. The odd thing is that it works with lots of rice or not so much. I don't understand but it is perfect every time.