Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

looking to buy an egg.

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am new to the egg world, actually was introduced to the egg last night at a party. The host has a large egg. He cooked tri-tip that was to die for. [p]Ok, so I want in, but i just don't know which size. the host of the party directed me to this forum. I understand there is a small egg and a mini, one of which will probably fit my needs for now. [p]I typically cook for myself and usually it is a steak or fish, like tuna or halibut. I have a "gasser" that i will probably give away because my first experience with the egg was so remarkable. [p]Maybe in the future, a large might be a possibility. But for now either the small or the mini. [p]Does any one have a thought or two which would lead me in the right direction?

Comments

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    KS Cheryl,[p]Do you remember the diameter of your small grid?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    jimmyk,
    if it is between the small and the mini, get the small. still "portable" enough to tailgate, and it can handle 80% of the cooks i do for my wife and two small boys.[p]i'll bet you ca$h, though, that you'll get a large within three months of getting the small... just watch.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    jimmyk,
    I second that, get the small. I have the small, large, and xl and i use the small 80% of the time. I am getting a mini at eggtoberfest in ATL this month but it is really limited to shorter cooks such as steak, chicken, chops. The small is perfect if you are by yourself but big enough to cook for 4 easily if you have company. Also it will be better for doing low and slows such as a small boston butt for pulled pork. Hope you pull the trigger soon.

• Pace Yourself
    Options
    jimmyk,[p]Hey Jimmy,[p]I started with a small BGE this summer just to make sure I didn’t have another expensive lawn ornament lying around.[p]As is turns out, I wish I had gone with the large BGE from the start. By the end of the summer I ended up with my second ceramic.... just tonight I was doing lower heat items (ribs, chicken wings, Vidalia’s, and potatoes) on the larger unit and pizza and tri-tip in the smaller unit. Sorry to ramble (there was beer, tequila, and campaign involved this evening...) but I would recommend getting a larger to start and filling in from there. If you really enjoy cooking, there is no way you do not take advantage of the large.....[p]
    I hope this helps,[p]Kevin

• KS Cheryl
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,
    13 inches

• jimmyk,[p]I have a Medium and a Small.[p]The Small is plenty big for you... and me...[p]BUT -- ![p]I am quickly become the Designated Cook for church and neighborhood gatherings... and my Medium is getting "tight."[p]I wish I had bought a Large -- not for ma, alone, but for the larger cooks I do at least monthly, and will keep doing through the winter months. I have already been asked to cook pork loin for 150 for a Christmas dinner @ church. [Others will bring coordinated sides and dessert]. This is too large a project for the Medium alone -- so I'll either be borrowing another Egg or cooking in shifts and reheating in ovens.[p]I never thought, when I first started Egging, I'd be cooking for someone else other than family. Knowing then what I know now -- get the Large. Unless you're catering, you probably won't need the XL.[p]For the price of an XL, you can pretty much get a Large and a Small, and all your bases would be covered. You'll discover some Eggers on this forum have four, five Eggs.[p]GoodBye Gassers!
    Adios metal grills![p]~ Broc

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Broc,[p]I started off with a large. [p]I went to the dealer today to get a medium or possibly a small.[p]I mainly cook for myself and my wife and was thinking to get a smaller egg to conserve on lump. I guess that was my excuse, reasoning and or justification.[p]I also cook for the kids & grandkids this can be up to 22 people - this happens once a month or once every other month.[p]Looking at the cooking area on the small it isn't reallty that much different than the medium and there isn't really that much price difference.[p]Just about ready to say get the medium, then I began looking at the difference between the medium and large. This time the difference being price, only $160 difference equiped the same way.[p]So then thinking with a second large I wouldn't have to get too many estra's (which really arn't necessary, but they are there, so I think I need them). With the medium or small I would have to duplicate everything.[p]It ends up I didn't get the second egg today. You have both medium and large.[p]What are your thoughts about a medium or small for mostly 2 people. Is there much lump use difference between those two sizes?[p]Thanks, Kent
  • jimmyk,
    We bought a large last March, just bought a small to take camping. we use that most nights as it is just the two of us. Very glad I have the large and would have bought the large soon if I had bought the small first:) they are like potato chips. you will find alot of people on here have more than one. Julie in balmy Maine

• Dover_Gal
    Dover_Gal Posts: 116
    Options
    Juliem4444,
    How is it taking the Small camping? We thought it might be a hassle, plus how do you leave it if people might snitch things (in New England, I wouldn't be so worried..)

• ArvadaMan
    ArvadaMan Posts: 260
    Options
    jimmyk,[p]I vote small. I does just fine for me, my wife, and two
    girls. If you end up entertaining alot, add a large later.

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    jimmyk,
    your hooked, give up and get the large. i have a large and a mini. and cook on the egg almost every day. the mini is great when i am home alone and just doing one or two pieces of meat, but generally i have meat potatos grilled vegetables on all at once so i have left overs and the large is perfect for that. if you think you will be entertaining go with the large from the start. i have never cooked on a small so cannot comment on that.
    regardless it all tastes better cooked on an egg.

• mr.b
    mr.b Posts: 75
    Options
    jimmyk, i have a small now and an xl.i bought the xl first use it alot and like it alot. i came across a used small that a friend of my wifes wanted to sell cause it hadn`t been used in years.(she prefers a weber,go figure) the price was so cheap i had to get it. i was building a table for a medium that i wanted to buy to accompany my xl but i find the small to be large enough for a quite a few different cooks so i am quite happy with it for now. i however think the mini would be too small for my needs at this time.