Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chestnuts

Options
Kyle
Kyle Posts: 156
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
With the holidays coming up has anyone roasted chestnuts on the BGE? Is so how did you do it? On an open fire?[p]Thanks, I know it's a weird question.[p]Kyle

Comments

• PuppyBreath
    Options
    Kyle,
    this question is kool and i look foreward to the answers... i'm doing pork ribs tonight for the first time...
    Pup

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Kyle:[p]Weird? NOT! My neighbor used to grill hickory nuts on an old clay cooker - they were good! Do your chestnuts at about 300º/325º till to your liking. Place them around the perimeter of the grill, not in the center over the hot spot. I wipe the grill down well after it has been heated to remove any grease instead of using foil.
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Kyle,
    Good question, but I don't know :)
    However, I have smoked spiced up almonds indirect at around 250 for about 30 minutes, turning once halfway, and they come out really good. I have used hickory and pecan for smoke. Both were good to me, but I never do it same way twice ;).
    Aren't chestnuts lots bigger in diameter? If so probably takes longer, the key i found is DO NOT burn them, better to be slight undercooked than burnt on the outside. IMO
    Let us know how it works out for you,
    Later,
    ChefRD

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Options
    Kyle,
    Here is how I did this last year. I used a foil pan with hole poked in it to roast the chestnuts in. Roast them at 450 degrees for about 15 to 20 minutes. To stop them from exploding cut a small X into the flat side. This worked very well, however most of my the chestnuts were spoiled.
    Fireball