Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Simple Brisket Question

Options
Flashback Bob
Flashback Bob Posts: 519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm not big into preparation or doing fancy cooks. I like to set it and forget it when I can.[p]This weekend I'm going to do a brisket and I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a simple brisket prep.[p]Maybe marinate overnight in salad dressing?
Rub with EVOO, RTS and Turbinado and leave overnight?
Does BBQ sauce go well on a brisket?[p]I have cooked one previously and it was nothing to write home about. Tasted like pot roast but was a lot tougher (maybe overcooked). [p]I'll probably cook it on Saturday.[p]Thanks!

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    I'd inject it vs marinating. I've not used EVOO but I can't see where it would hurt. I've found that the water from rinsing the meat helps the rub/sugar to adhere. Turbinado/RTS sounds like a winner to me.[p]Your other brisket was probably undercooked not overcooked. An overcooked brisket will be more hard than tough......overcook one and you'll know what I mean :>)

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Flashback Bob,[p]I have great luck with them and get terrific bark using prepared mustard, then 1/2 turbinado and 1/2 RTS, then refrigerating overnight. Low and slow, fat down, drip pan with newcastle brown ale. BBQ sauce does go very well with brisket, but I prefer something tangy like Gate's or Arthur Bryant's sauce more than sweeter varieties like Blues Hog or KC Masterpiece.[p]Here is one with no marinade, no injection, just mustard, RTS, and turbinado.[p]Done2-1.jpg
  • Flashback Bob
    Options
    Fidel,
    This sounds good - is "prepared" mustard the same as French's yellow mustard?[p]If using BBQ sauce, at what point do you apply the sauce? as part of the overnight prep? in the last 1/2 hour of the cook? Something inbetween?[p]thanks!

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Flashback Bob,[p]Prepared mustard is liquid - your choice. Just not mustard powder. I use a chipotle mustard sometimes, sometimes French's or Plochmann's, sometimes a good stone ground brown.[p]I do not apply sauce to brisket while cooking, just pour some on when eating. I find it helps the brisket remain moist when reheating leftovers, so I apply before re-heating. [p]The only exception is burnt ends. I add sauce to them after cubing but while they cook. The sauce reduction adds to the deliciousness.