Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggtoberfest questions

orion11
orion11 Posts: 140
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, never been to a fest and would like to know a couple things. It looks like it is not to late to register to just "attend", and not cook, is that correct? Thought the wife may enjoy the trip from Arizona, sounds like fun, does it resemble a BBQ cook-off that you see on TV? Sounds corney maybe but, is a good event for spectators to just see what people are cooking? Never been to that part of the country, assuming there are some sites to see in addition to the fest? Any experiences shared will be appreciated.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    orion11,[p] Nothing like a Competition other then a bunch of people cooking. The atmosphere is more laid back. The food is available to everyone and the variety of food is greater.[p] If you pay attention and ask questions it is a great learning opportunity as well. [p] Now if you get too close to Wess you might get a contact high HEHEHEHEH[p]
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    orion11, I think it's far more fun than BBQ contest because for one, everyone is cooking something different and two, everyone cooking is also there to chat. At a BBQ contest, the clock is of the essence and most competitors don't have an opportunity to talk until turn-ins are done. And even then many of them are tied up with selling. [p]Come and enjoy the day at the fest and the night (Saturday night) at the after-party. You will go home full of food and full of ideas.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    orion11,
    It is something you just have to experience because it is too difficult to describe. Over 200 cookers turning out everything imaginable all day long. Kim and I have been to 5 fests this year and all have been exceptional, but nothing can hold a candle to the big dance. Just go, then we can work on getting a fest together for Phoenix. -RP

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    AZRP,
    I think this year is going to be very hectic. I don't remember that many people cooking last year. I have you and Kim inked in for KC next May.[p]Mike

• Desert Filly
    Desert Filly Posts: 1,042
    orion11,
    It will be a nice get away/whirlwind weekend for the two of you. In the past, there have been events going on at Stone Mountain. And the Highland games are the same time too. Never have experienced either....we fly in on Friday...early afternoon arrival, go to the Meet and Greet, attend festivities on Sat...and the afterparty Sat night(these are much more personal), the fly home midday on Sunday. It would be great to meet another Egghead from AZ.
    Keep us posted if you go.[p]Kim

• AZRP,
    what's the big dance? we've not heard anythg about it on the bge site. This is our first time there.

• AZRP
    F.,
    My description of Eggtoberfest in Atlanta, the big dance. -RP

• AZRP
    Car Wash Mike,
    You mean I don't have to wait for an engraved invitation? LOL -RP

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    AZRP,
    They have a little horse show Kim might be interested in. Not the bull riding, but the parade is something to behold.
    I'll get the red carpet out for you. LOL[p]Mike

[ul][li]AR[/ul]
  • orion11
    AZRP,
    I am going to have to talk to my better half and see if she would like to make a trip. It definately sound like a good time, not to mention pick up some good ideas for cooks!

• AZRP
    orion11,
    Kim came along with me the first year, just to oblige me, the second year she was looking forward to it, this year she has a new handle and is posting on her own. Dang, what's up next year? -RP

• orion11
    AZRP,
    Yeah, that's part of it, I would like to get her on the same plane with this whole cooking thing. More than a hobby or interest for me, sometimes I probably get a bit consumed by it!!

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    crowd2.jpg
    <p />orion11, hang out, walk about with an occassional shout out......
    crowd3.jpg[p]this is how you find the food, our very own Lawn Ranger serving up his shrooms....[p]lrmushrooms.jpg

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    orion11,[p]Things to do in Atlanta before and or after the Eggtoberfest.[p]Visit
    Stone Mountain Park
    Georgia Seaquarium
    Cyclorama if you are into Civil War history
    lots of great shops, restaurants, hotels
    Helen, Ga 1-1 1/2 hour drive...it is in the mountains North of Atlanta and is like an Alpine Village
    Flyfish on the Chattahoochee River through downtown ATL....
    there really is a lot to do and see here[p]Kim Youngblood
    (aka vidalia1)