Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buckboard Bacon

Options
Bucky Buckshot
Bucky Buckshot Posts: 100
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just finished a batch of buckboard bacon this afternoon and had some for din-din tonight. It is absolutely fabulous. We had thick slices for dinner however the rest is in the fridg. and I will slice it thinly for sandwiches and freeze it in portion bags. I would recomend this way of fixing Boston Butts anytime. If anyone has any questions about it don't hesitate to ask. I would be glad to help. Bucky

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Bucky Buckshot,
    I took an 8 lb loin and quartered it lengthwise and widthwise giving me 8 tenderloin size pieces. They are curing in the fridge now. Probably will smoke them next weekend. Good stuff! -RP

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    dsc03553aaL.jpg
    <p />Bucky Buckshot,[p]Butt bacon is my favorite, but like Ron mentioned, buckboarded loins are real good too.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye,
    i'm gonna have to try that sometime.[p]that kinda looks like a loaf of bread *squint*

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Bucky Buckshot,[p]I have seen a picture of it once. What is it? And how do you make it?
  • Bucky Buckshot
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,
    Sorry for not getting back to the computer sooner, the wife had it tied up doing her sewing business.
    To explain a little bit about buckboard bacon --- traditional buckboard bacon in made from the Boston Butt while Canadian bacon is made the same way only from the loin. I use HI Mountain buckboard bacon cure and just follow the directions on the box, very simple but takes about ten days in the fridg. to cure then a couple of hours to smoke at 200 degrees. You can get the Hi Mountain cure directly from Hi Mountain but the shipping will kill you, costs more than the cure itself. I get mine from Sportsmans Warehouse, or I am sure Cabela's would carry it also.
    The main thing is that it is easy to do and makes great eating. Good luck with it. Bucky

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    d658533f.jpg
    <p />Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]
    Fried up, it is a wonderful breakfast meat. Thicker slices can also be reheated on the Egg, and it's good as a main meat served with some root vegetables. There is a buckboard page on my site and I also list the Eggspecific changes in the cooking procedure as Hi Mountain's instructions are written for an electric smoker.[p]If you do not have access to their products in your town, let me know and I will send some and a pack of of their jerky seasoning too. I owe you one after the care package you sent.[p]DSC01463a.jpg[p]~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Mopar400
    Options
    Bucky Buckshot,
    Now that sounds like something I have to try on the Egg.[p]After last weekend @ poolside I learned the secret of Jalapeño peppers now I learn how to make bacon.[p]Keep it coming Bucky.

• Bucky Buckshot
    Options
    mopar400,
    Thank you so much for the compliment, you don't know what it means to me to hear something like that. Bucky