Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Fat Caps; lump level

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,
I'm new to the BGE world and for my madien voyage I smoked 2 pork butts. Now I've got 2 questions.
1.Does it make a difference if you cook the pork butt with the fat cap up or down?
2. I put lump in to about 2 inches above teh air holes and had to refill and restart 3 times on a 20 hour butt cook. Am I just not putting enough lump in or is something else wrong?[p]Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    GrillGirl,[p]Cook with the fat cap on top as the melting juices then baste the meat during the cook. On a low and slow cook you should fill the entire firebox (can fill more) to provide enough fuel for the cook.[p]Welcome to the family and forum.[p]Spin
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    GrillGirl,
    Send me your e-mail address and I get a file off to you that was very helpful to me and a few others I know in the forum. Elder ward posted it a while back and I can't seem to find it in the archives. I have it in a word file or I could send it in an rtf if you rather.
    Carey

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Sundown,[p]Is this it? If not, it still provides grat insight to cooking the meal on our Eggs.[p]Spin
    [ul][li]NC Style pulled pork[/ul]
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Spin,
    Yes! That's the one!
    Thanks.
    Carey

• Citizen Q
    Options
    GrillGirl,
    Fat cap up, as mentioned already, and fill that sucker up, load the lump over the firebox to within 3 inches of the cooking grid. You will never have to reload again during a cook again. This will also protect your coal grate and firebox from cracking due to excessive heat as the heat source is up and away from where it can cause damage.