Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-Tip

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is a Tri-Tip? Is this a common name that any store would recognize?

Comments

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    TriTipCook3-1.jpg
    <p />New One,
    I think it comes from the end of the sirloin. Where are you located? Tri-Tip is not common outside of the west coast. It is begining to appear in a lot more places. I don't think there is another name for it. Sams and Costco seem to carry the trimeed tri-tips. It is a very full flavored cut of beef. Good luck, Tom

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
  • wrobs
    wrobs Posts: 109
    Options
    New One,
    Not sure where you are located, but here in Georgia (Augusta area), the only place I have found that carries them is Publix. The other local grocery stores, including Sams Club, did not have a clue what I was asking for. If you find them, they are a great cut of meat with a good beef flavor... my family prefers them over steaks!
    Good luck.[p]Robert

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    New One,[p]The easiest and most universal way to describe tri-tip to a meat cutter is to ask for a NAMP 185C (a 185D has the fat removed). His cut/order chart will detail exactly what you are after.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • The tri-tip is part of the sirloin. There is a layer of fat on the sirloin and one tri-tip between the fat layer and the tri-tip. It is a very flavorful cut of meat. You must ask the butcher to save one for you as they are not a very popular cut. I have never seen one at costco, but I can call ahead and tell my butcher, (specialty market) to save one for me. Hope this helps.

[ul][li]100_2974.jpg">http://100_2974.jpg</a>[/ul]
  • Pace Yourself
    Options
    skyhopsing,[p]The Costco's by me (N/W Suburbs of Chicago) seem to have it regularly. They carry it two ways. One is a large cryo-pack with a bunch of tri-tips roasts in it. I have never bought one of these and cannot speak to which cut they have (fat cap or no fat cap). The second is two completely trimmed tri-tips in a package (3.25 - 4 lbs).[p]I have bought the trimmed ones twice and can't believe how good they were. The other thing about this cut of meat that I love is that everyone seems to have a different way to cook them and they are all happy with the results. (Low and slow, TRex, reverse sear, mid range heat through out...) [p]Oh, and I didn't mention that this is one of the only red meats I have ever tried that tastes just as good, if not better, when cool or room temp versus hot. We used the leftovers last time on a room temp appetizer and a cool salad and were just as happy as when it was first cut into off the egg...[p]I have made a good deal of different dishes since getting my egg and I can't say that anything has been better than the tri-tips. (Well, there was this one pulled pork BBQ pizza that almost made me cry but I digress...)[p]Here are some pics...[p]2nd cook (tonight)[p]

100_1108.jpg[p]
    100_1110.jpg[p]
    Salad with leftovers from 1st cook:[p]100_1082.jpg[p]
    100_1083.jpg[p]1st Cook:[p]
    100_1077.jpg[p]
    100_1078.jpg[p]
    [p]Cheers

• New One,[p]When Tri Tip is cut into steaks, it's called Coulotte steak. Maybe if you were to ask for a Coulotte roast, they might lnow what you're talking about.
  • Carolina Wizard
    Options
    New One,
    I was in Publix today and ask about a Tri-tip. They didn't have any pre-cut but offered to cut one for me. I reverted back to my original choice of T-bones when the butcher told me the tri-tip was selling for $17.50 a pound. The price surprised me.

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Carolina Wizard,
    I'd find another butcher FAST. He is ripping you off. Tri-tip here, on sale, is $2.39/lb for choice.

• New One,[p]The only place in town [pop. 70,000] I can get tri-tip is at Sam's [$4.87/lb]. I'm cooking up four of them Friday to use in Philly Steak Sandwiches.[p]Some places will call them a roast... others a steak.[p]In Omaha, I found tri-tip at Whole Foods Market for $12.95/lb.[p]For me and my house, tri-tip is the best taste of beef [not necessarily the most tender -- but it ain't tough!] there is... be sure to cut against the grain...[p]Good Eats![p]~ B

• dbishop
    Options
    Pace Yourself,
    The tri-tip looks great. Give us the details on the dish, is it a salad, do you melt the cheese after you plate it? I can't find them here one butcher said he can't afford to cut the tri tip out of the sirloin??? Said he couldn't sell ground sirloin that was left for $6.00 a pound. I'm still looking.
    DB

• Pace Yourself
    Options
    dbishop,[p]This link should take you to the details on the salad. It was basically dressed greens on the bottom, roasted baby red and yellow peppers for the next layer, thin sliced and reseasoned (with DP) tri-tip was the third layer and then shaved cheese on the top. It was all at room temp or a little cooler and was one of the best dishes I have ever cobbled together.
    [ul][li]http://www.eggheadforum.com/archives/2007/messages/413269.htm[/ul]
  • TexasTigerFan
    Options
    New One,[p]Tried it for the first time this last weekend. I got 2 of them, about 1.75-2lbs each for about $5 a pound at Costco. I was very surprised at how great it was and very easy to cook. All I did was put on some EVOO, Dizzy's Cow Lick, and a little Montreal Steak Seasoning. Let it sit for a few hours in the fridge. Brought the egg up to 400 degrees. Cooked on each side about 8 minutes, took them off and rested for about 10 minutes and seared afterwards. I followed Third-Eye's instructions pretty close and it was fantastic. Only thing I would do different is shorten-up the time cooked a little. Great flavor.
  • dbishop
    Options
    Pace Yourself,
    Thanks, I will try this soon If I can find Tri-Tip
    DB

• Hamilton
    Options
    tri_tip.jpg
    <p />New One,[p]Costco always has it.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options